Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

danextian
Super User
Super User

Matching each list in a List of Lists against a list from another List of Lists by index position

Hi All,

I need help in figuring this out.  What I am tyring to do is create a custom function that will create a table from a text string. I am stuck in my FieldsList variable. 

let func =     
    (MyString as text, RowDel as text, ColDel as text) as any=>

let

//splits text into rows by RowDel
    ColSplit = Text.Split(MyString, RowDel),

//splits text by into columns by ColDel
    TextSplit = List.Transform(ColSplit , (x)=> Text.Split(x, ColDel) ),

//returns values from text string assuming the values start from position 1 with interval of  2
    ValuesList = List.Transform(TextSplit, (x)=> List.Alternate(x,1,1)),

//returns field names from text string, those not found in ListValues are field names
    FieldsList = List.Transform(TextSplit, (x)=> List.RemoveMatchingItems(x, ValuesList) ),
    Im stuck in this part. How do i accesss each list in ValuesList without explicitly
stating the list position (ValuesList{0}) and match that list against
a list in TextSplit that has the same position as the list in ValuesList?
//creates a table from ListValues and ListFields TableFromLists = Table.FromColumns({FieldsList, ValuesList}), //transposes the created table TransposedTable = Table.Transpose(TableFromLists), //promotes first row to headers PromotedHeaders = Table.PromoteHeaders(TransposedTable, [PromoteAllScalars = true]) in PromotedHeaders

in func

Sample string: PartyName$#$Dane$#$SoldTo$#$123456$#$Country$#$United States$#$State$#$New York$@$PartyName$#$Dane$#$SoldTo$#$123456$#$Country$#$United States$#$State$#$New Yorks$#$Zip$#$90210

The string above should return a list containing two tables.

table from string.png

In the screnshot above,  I used this formula to invoke the custom function but I want incorpoate the splitting into rows into the function.

List.Transform(Text.Split([string],"$@$"), (x)=> fnTableFromString(x,"$#$"))

Here's the original function that I am trying to modify:

let func =     
    (MyString as text, Del as text) as table =>

let

//splits text by delimiter
    TextSplit = Text.Split(MyString, Del),

//returns values from text string assuming the values start from position 1 with interval of  2
    ValuesList = List.Alternate(TextSplit,1,1),

//returns field names from text string, those not found in ListValues are field names
    FieldsList = List.RemoveMatchingItems(TextSplit, ValuesList),

//creates a table from ListValues and ListFields
    TableFromLists = Table.FromColumns({FieldsList, ValuesList}),

//transposes the created table
    TransposedTable = Table.Transpose(TableFromLists),

//promotes first row to headers
    PromotedHeaders = Table.PromoteHeaders(TransposedTable, [PromoteAllScalars = true])

in
   PromotedHeaders

in 
   func

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok - I'm pretty sure the function I posted earlier does that. Here's a simplified version of it, getting rid of the initial "let..."

There may well be other/better ways to do this 🙂

let

//returns values from text string assuming the values start from position 1 with interval of 2

//returns field names from text string, assuming the values start from position 0 with interval of 2
    FieldsList = List.Transform(TextSplit, (x)=> List.Alternate(x,1,1,1) ),

ValuesAndFieldsList = List.Zip ( {ValuesList, FieldsList } ),

//returns a list of tables
    TableFromLists = List.Transform ( ValuesAndFieldsList, each Table.FromRows({_{0}},_{1}))

in
   TableFromLists

If I invoke this on

"PartyName$#$Dane$#$SoldTo$#$123456$#$Country$#$United States$#$State$#$New  York$@$PartyName$#$Dane2$#$SoldTo$#$1234567$#$Country$#$Canada$#$State$#$Quebec"

I get a list of two tables as you've described.

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi danextian,

I have searched the list functions but can't find a function which can meet your requirement and List.RemoveMatchingItems() doesn't take consideration of index. I'm afraid you should use loop.

In addtion, I recommend you to use R script instead of power query and try again.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi @v-yuta-msft

Can  you please elaborate about using a loop?

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

Hi @danextian

If I understand you correctly, the output you need is a list of tables, where each table has a single row corresponding to a "row" from the original text...hopefully got that right 🙂

I would actually suggest you use another List.Alternate to get the field names, then use List.Zip to stich the lists together into ValuesList/FieldsList pairs.

This worked at my end after some testing:

let func =     

let

//returns values from text string assuming the values start from position 1 with interval of 2

//returns field names from text string, assuming the values start from position 0 with interval of 2

/*Create a list of ValuesList/FieldsList pairs,
     i.e.
     {
        { { Row1_Value1, Row1_Value2, ... }, { Row1_Field1, Row1_Field2, ... } },
        { { Row2_Value1, Row2_Value2, ... }, { Row2_Field1, Row2_Field2, ... } },
        { { RowN_Value1, RowN_Value2, ... }, { RowN_Field1, RowN_Field2, ... } }   
     }
    */
ValuesAndFieldsList = List.Zip ( {ValuesList, FieldsList } ), //returns a list of tables TableFromLists = List.Transform ( ValuesAndFieldsList, each Table.FromRows({_{0}},_{1})) in TableFromLists in func

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Hi @OwenAuger,

Thank you for the response.  What I am trying to achieve is, if had this text tring, PartyName$#$Dane$#$SoldTo$#$123456$#$Country$#$United States$#$State$#$New York, I would be able to generate a list containing  a table using a custom function,

PartyNameSoldToCountryState
Dane123456United StatesNew York

However if I had PartyName$#$Dane$#$SoldTo$#$123456$#$Country$#$United States$#$State$#$New York$@$PartyName$#$Dane2$#$SoldTo$#$1234567$#$Country$#$Canada$#$State$#$Quebec, I would want to be able to generate a list that this time contains two tables:

Table 1   
Dane123456United StatesNew York

Table 2   
Dane21234567CanadaQuebec

So $@$ will serve as a delimiter to split the text string into two or more tables. I already have the script (posted prior) to generate just one table. I'm aware I can just use the formula below but out I've been very curious how to achieve this 🙂

List.Transform(Text.Split([string],"$@$"), (x)=> fnTableFromString(x,"$#$"))

Ok - I'm pretty sure the function I posted earlier does that. Here's a simplified version of it, getting rid of the initial "let..."

There may well be other/better ways to do this 🙂

let

ValuesAndFieldsList = List.Zip ( {ValuesList, FieldsList } ),

//returns a list of tables
    TableFromLists = List.Transform ( ValuesAndFieldsList, each Table.FromRows({_{0}},_{1}))

in
   TableFromLists

If I invoke this on

"PartyName$#$Dane$#$SoldTo$#$123456$#$Country$#$United States$#$State$#$New  York$@$PartyName$#$Dane2$#$SoldTo$#$1234567$#$Country$#$Canada$#$State$#$Quebec"

I get a list of two tables as you've described.

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Hi @OwenAuger,

Thank you for the response. I haven't had the time to check your previous M script so I wasn't sure if it was working. I replied with what I had in memory.  However, your latest code works like a charm.  Thank you again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors