Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

craig811
Helper III
Helper III

Matching data

Hi,

I am not sure if it is possbile in Power BI, however is there a way I can match the following:

Colunm A has : W345678-New 

Colunm B has : 45635 | W345678

As the value 'W345678' exists in both colunms, I want to remove the rows from my report.  All the vlaues I want to match are in the same format as above Colunm A values have -New after each value and Colunm B has a value then |.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @craig811 

You may try below measure:

Column = IF(ISERROR(FIND(LEFT([ColumnA],FIND("-",[ColumnA])-1),[ColumnB])),0,1)

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Column = IF(FIND(LEFT([ColumnA],FIND("-",[ColumnA])-1),[ColumnB]),1,0)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you,

However I get the following error:'The search Text provided to function 'FIND' could not be found in the given text' any idea how to fix it?

Make sure that the first 2 column references are the same. Also does all your data in column A have a "-" before the "new"?

Try putting a default value in if you don't find the hyphen.

Column = IF(FIND(LEFT([ColumnA],FIND("-",[ColumnA],1,"999999")-1),[ColumnB]),1,0)

Thank you for the reply,

Yes, I do have some data in ColumnA that does not have - and some rows are blank.

Hi @craig811

Could you show some data with screenshot?

Regards,

Cherie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Test data screenshot.png

Thank you,

Please see screenshot attached.

Hi @craig811 

You may try below measure:

Column = IF(ISERROR(FIND(LEFT([ColumnA],FIND("-",[ColumnA])-1),[ColumnB])),0,1)

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Thank you for solution,

However, how do I get the if statament to look in all the rows of columnB ([Line Description) to find a matching value with colunmA:

Column = IF(ISERROR(FIND(LEFT([Transaction Number],FIND("-",[Transaction Number])-1),[Line Description])),0,1)

Currently the above just looks at the one row in columnA to the same row in columnB.

Great thanks Cherie,

This might be a silly question, however how do I get the formula to look for the value in columnA and if it exists in column B then enter value 1?

For example:

ColumnA              ColumnB

W111234-NEW     TEST

71554 |  W111234-NEW   

So from the above the value in column A exists in column B ,but might be on a different row in column B. I would still like it to show a value of 1 in the new column. 

Hope that makes sense. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.