Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

QuintonLi
Frequent Visitor

Match value after fuzzy lookupvalue between two tables

Hi all,

I need some help on match/LookUpValue in two different tables about streets and suburb, where the first table contants streets of all incidents, and the second table contants all the possible streets in suburb. I would like to do a match/lookup to give the complete street name and suburb in table 1 based on informaiton in table 2 (I can do this in Excel using  fuzzy lookup by set up StreetName & "*" then the lookup function could will covers street with the key word)

I tried several different method in PowerBI, but still not sucessful to get the output I want, please help if you would be able to. Thanks!

Table 1: 

STREET                     SUBURB                        STREETLOOKUP

MAIN                        BURLINGTON               BURLINGTON*MAIN

MAIN                        GREENSBORO              GREENSBORO*MAIN

MAIN AV                  GREENSBORO              GREENSBORO*MAIN AV

SECOND                  BURLINGTON                BURLINGTON*SECOND

SECOND ST              BURLINGTON                BURLINGTON*SECOND ST

SECOND PL              GREENSBORO              GREENSBORO*SECOND PL

Table 2:

STREET                     SUBURB                      LookupStreet

MAIN STREET          BURLINGTON               BURLINGTON*MAIN STREET             

MAIN AVENUE         GREENSBORO             GREENSBORO*MAIN AVENUE          

SECOND STREET      BURLINGTON              BURLINGTON*SECOND STREET          

SECOND PLACE        GREENSBORO             GREENSBORO*SECOND PLACE

AND I want to do a lookup/match so Table 1 could show the correct complete street name under each suburb as following: 

STREET            SUBURB                   STREETLOOKUP                         FinalResult

MAIN             BURLINGTON           BURLINGTON*MAIN                  BURLINGTON*MAIN STREET

MAIN              GREENSBORO         GREENSBORO*MAIN                 GREENSBORO*MAIN AVENUE

MAIN AV         GREENSBORO         GREENSBORO*MAIN AV           GREENSBORO*MAIN AVENUE

SECOND          BURLINGTON          BURLINGTON*SECOND             BURLINGTON*SECOND STREET

SECOND ST     BURLINGTON          BURLINGTON*SECOND ST        BURLINGTON*SECOND STREET

SECOND PL     GREENSBORO         GREENSBORO*SECOND PL        GREENSBORO*SECOND PLACE

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @QuintonLi 

As tested, 

In Edit queries, trim and clean columns "STREET" and "SUBURB' in both tables, then add merged columns in both tables

Capture9.JPG

Close&&apply, create a new table

Capture11.JPG

Lookup Table =
FILTER (
    CROSSJOIN ( VALUES ( Table1[lookup value] ), VALUES ( Table2[location1] ) ),
    LEFT ( [location1], LEN ( [lookup value] ) ) = [lookup value]
)

Then create a calculated column in Table1

Capture12.JPG

final =
LOOKUPVALUE (
    'Lookup Table'[location1],
    'Lookup Table'[lookup value], Table1[lookup value]
)

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @QuintonLi 

As tested, 

In Edit queries, trim and clean columns "STREET" and "SUBURB' in both tables, then add merged columns in both tables

Capture9.JPG

Close&&apply, create a new table

Capture11.JPG

Lookup Table =
FILTER (
    CROSSJOIN ( VALUES ( Table1[lookup value] ), VALUES ( Table2[location1] ) ),
    LEFT ( [location1], LEN ( [lookup value] ) ) = [lookup value]
)

Then create a calculated column in Table1

Capture12.JPG

final =
LOOKUPVALUE (
    'Lookup Table'[location1],
    'Lookup Table'[lookup value], Table1[lookup value]
)

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @QuintonLi 

Is this problem sloved? 
If it is sloved, could you kindly accept it as a solution to close this case?
If not, please let me know.

Best Regards
Maggie
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @QuintonLi 

Make a test as parry2k suggested, if there is still any problem, feel free to let me know.

Best Regards
Maggie

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@QuintonLi check fuzzy loopup blog here, hope it helps.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.