Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alex_Heinze
Regular Visitor

Match multiple entries in one table with multiple entries in another table

In my left-hand table (actually a view) with jobs that require 0..n skills (typically 1-5). In the right-hand table I've got technicians with their associated skills (typically 20-30). To qualify for a job, the technician needs to possess ALL skills.

Alex_Heinze_1-1637931240382.png

I tried building a large view with several joins in which I get all techs for all required skills, but that view also includes technician B, because he has skill 1 for job 1 and skill 4 for job 2. I struggle to filter the candidates with all skills.

Appreciate your help.

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Here is the "correct"  solution. I'm sure this can be optimized.

Available Technicians = 
var j = '1 - Job Skills'[Job]
var s = SELECTCOLUMNS(Filter('1 - Job Skills','1 - Job Skills'[Job]=j),"Required",'1 - Job Skills'[Required skills])
var a = ADDCOLUMNS(VALUES('2 - Technician Skills'[Technician]),"Available",
        var te='2 - Technician Skills'[Technician] 
        var av=SELECTCOLUMNS(Filter('2 - Technician Skills','2 - Technician Skills'[Technician]=te),"avl",'2 - Technician Skills'[Technician Skills])
        return countrows(INTERSECT(av,s)))
return CONCATENATEX(filter(a,[Available]=countrows(s)),'2 - Technician Skills'[Technician],",")

lbendlin_1-1638226932930.png

See attached.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Here is the "correct"  solution. I'm sure this can be optimized.

Available Technicians = 
var j = '1 - Job Skills'[Job]
var s = SELECTCOLUMNS(Filter('1 - Job Skills','1 - Job Skills'[Job]=j),"Required",'1 - Job Skills'[Required skills])
var a = ADDCOLUMNS(VALUES('2 - Technician Skills'[Technician]),"Available",
        var te='2 - Technician Skills'[Technician] 
        var av=SELECTCOLUMNS(Filter('2 - Technician Skills','2 - Technician Skills'[Technician]=te),"avl",'2 - Technician Skills'[Technician Skills])
        return countrows(INTERSECT(av,s)))
return CONCATENATEX(filter(a,[Available]=countrows(s)),'2 - Technician Skills'[Technician],",")

lbendlin_1-1638226932930.png

See attached.

Hi @lbendlin that's just awesome, thanks so much for taking the time. One last question: Which statement would I need to alter to get 1 line for each combination of job and technician (instead of the comma-separated list)? This would allow me to join additional details from the technician record.

You can add a step to split "Available Technicians" by delimiter into rows.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

It's not easy to use views or joins for that.  You can use DAX measures based on INTERSECT().

Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue. Paste the data into a table in your post or use one of the file services. 

Hi @lbendlin, thanks for the answer. Have uploaded my sample files to https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkgTNHqYeuPdg4lBeLhKGzjygnm7oQ , appreciate your help. 

While I prepare the "proper"  solution here's a quick and dirty workaround

Calculated table:

T = var f= FILTER(CROSSJOIN(SELECTCOLUMNS('1 - Job Skills',"Job",'1 - Job Skills'[Job],"Required",'1 - Job Skills'[Required skills]) ,SELECTCOLUMNS('2 - Technician Skills',"Technician",'2 - Technician Skills'[Technician],"Available",'2 - Technician Skills'[Technician Skills]) ),[Required]=[Available]) Return ADDCOLUMNS(f,"ReqSkill",CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('1 - Job Skills'[Required skills]),ALLEXCEPT('1 - Job Skills','1 - Job Skills'[Job])))

Add a calculated column to it

AvailSkills = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(T[Available]),ALLEXCEPT(T,T[Job],T[Technician]))

lbendlin_0-1638225270514.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.