Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lawsonbe
Helper I
Helper I

MasteryConnect API Connection "A web API key can only be specified with a web API key is provided."

I have been trying for several days to connect PowerBI to MasteryConnect through their API. MasteryConnect is an educational services provider that hosts student testing information. They allow teachers to create their own assessments, administer assessments designed by other vendors, or generate assessments using their own item bank. All information can be tied to learning standards. 

To connect to the API, I followed the instructions they sent me which required the use of Postman. I successfully got Postman to send a GET statement and return information. Below you can see the Postman screen with the Url generated for the GET statement. I have also included the Postman Console showing the url and headers that are passed in the GET statement. Below that is the Web Data Source screen. I have tried every variation I can think of in the Key portion of the PowerBI Web Data Source screen. Nothing seems to work and it continues to return the error "A web API key can only be specified with a web API key is provided." 

I have additionally tried pasting many combinations into the Username box of the Basic screen for Web data source. I have not found the right syntax or combination of headers needed to return a result. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help with this.

Postman get url and results.Postman get url and results.Postman Console screen with headers passed to the API.Postman Console screen with headers passed to the API.PowerBI Web data source.PowerBI Web data source.

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @lawsonbe

Here is a similar one issue and it had solved well for you to refer to,

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Get-data-from-web-error-A-web-API-key-can-only-be-specified...

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I tried that method and it did not work for me. 

I am trying a new tactic on this issue. I found the following OAuth 1.0 script and am trying to use it to create the GET to the MasteryConnect API. PowerBI does not like the https part of the statement and calls it out as a syntax error in the advanced querry editor. Obviously I am subbing out my own information for the key, code, signature, etc..

let

Source = Web.Contents("https://api.masteryconnect.com/api/students.json?page=1″, [Headers=[#”Authorization”=”OAuth oauth_consumer_key=””YOURKEY””, oauth_nonce=””YOURCODE””, oauth_signature=””YOURSIGNATURE””, oauth_signature_method=””HMAC-SHA1″”, oauth_timestamp=””TIMESTAMP””, oauth_token=””YOURTOKEN””, oauth_version=””1.0″””]]
)
in
Source

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.