Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Phantomiceman
Regular Visitor

Marking dupplicates in atable

Hi Im currently doing an excel to power bi conversion and i need help with working out dax for the followng excel formula which basically marks the first occurence of the 'course reference to' 1 and then any subsequent occurence of the same reference as 0 in a table. This marker is then used later for filtering data.

The current excel formula is

=IF(countif($b$2:b4)>1,0,1) - The B column being the course reference column. Just for reference the current cell formula looks at the previous columns to do its comparrision  . so the  first row formula is

=IF(countif($b$2:b2)>1,0,1)  and then b3's formula is =IF(countif($b$2:b3)>1,0,1) and so fourth..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Alright, usually it helps if you give some example data, that would save us time in creating our own dataset to help you out 🙂

Either way, I've created a sample table, in which your question is: how can I mark row 7 and row 9 as second dublicate.

Test table - Row 7 and 9 should be marked 0Test table - Row 7 and 9 should be marked 0

The first thing we are going to do in the Query Editor is to add an Index Column. This will help us in determining whether a value has already occurered or if it is the first occurence. Go to Add Column tab, en chose Add Index Column. The table now looks like this:

Our test table, with an Index column addedOur test table, with an Index column added

Now close and apply the query editor en go to the report page. We are going to add a custom column. This column will count the rows when we filter the table on the value column (Column1 in my case) and on the Index column where we want to see only rows where the index is lower or equal as the current row. The formula for the column is this:

Duplicate = IF(CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table'), FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Column1] = EARLIER('Table'[Column1]) && 'Table'[Index] <= EARLIER('Table'[Index]))) = 1, 1, 0)

The table now looks like this (from Data view):

image.png

Note that row 7 and 9 are marked 0 as the values A en E already occured. 

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Kudo's are welcome 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Alright, usually it helps if you give some example data, that would save us time in creating our own dataset to help you out 🙂

Either way, I've created a sample table, in which your question is: how can I mark row 7 and row 9 as second dublicate.

Test table - Row 7 and 9 should be marked 0Test table - Row 7 and 9 should be marked 0

The first thing we are going to do in the Query Editor is to add an Index Column. This will help us in determining whether a value has already occurered or if it is the first occurence. Go to Add Column tab, en chose Add Index Column. The table now looks like this:

Our test table, with an Index column addedOur test table, with an Index column added

Now close and apply the query editor en go to the report page. We are going to add a custom column. This column will count the rows when we filter the table on the value column (Column1 in my case) and on the Index column where we want to see only rows where the index is lower or equal as the current row. The formula for the column is this:

Duplicate = IF(CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table'), FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Column1] = EARLIER('Table'[Column1]) && 'Table'[Index] <= EARLIER('Table'[Index]))) = 1, 1, 0)

The table now looks like this (from Data view):

image.png

Note that row 7 and 9 are marked 0 as the values A en E already occured. 

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Kudo's are welcome 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.