Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Margin Divisible by 5?

Hi,

I am looking to find a calculation that will tell me whether an item was sold at a margin divisible by five or not. i.e. ..., 35%, 40%, 45%, 50%, ... etc. I figured it would be simple using the MOD function. I tried each of the following

DivisibleBy5 = IF(MOD([Margin], 0.05) = 0, "Yes", "No")
DivisibleBy5 = IF(MOD([Margin] * 100, 5) = 0, "Yes", "No")

Each give me an error saying "An argument of function 'MOD' has the wrong data type or the result is too large or too small". 

My [Margin] is a decimal number and classified as such. Any idea what's going wrong? Any other ways to get the result I'm looking for?

Thanks, 
Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattAllington

Sale Prices of $0.00 were creating -infinity values which was screwing it up. I stacked another IF statement on top of the other, saying IF([Sale]=0, IF(MOD([Margin], .05) = 0, "True", "False"), "False")

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Please check the data type of the column [Margin]. If it is text, the formula will return #ERROR and you should change it to decimal number.

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Is margin a measure or a calc column? Is DivisibleBy5 a measure or a calc column?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattAllington 

Both are calculated columns. I want it to calculate per row.

Well it looks right. Can you post a sample of the values in the margin column?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

here is my formula and it works fine.  So I have to think something strange is happening to your data column.    Do you have any rougue values somewhere in the column?  Try writing a calc column =Max(table[total cost margin]) and see what you get

pct.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattAllington

Sale Prices of $0.00 were creating -infinity values which was screwing it up. I stacked another IF statement on top of the other, saying IF([Sale]=0, IF(MOD([Margin], .05) = 0, "True", "False"), "False")

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am looking to find a calculation that will tell me whether an item was sold at a margin divisible by five or not. i.e. ..., 35%, 40%, 45%, 50%, ... etc. I figured it would be simple using the MOD function. I tried each of the following

DivisibleBy5 = IF(MOD([Margin], 0.05) = 0, "Yes", "No")
DivisibleBy5 = IF(MOD([Margin] * 100, 5) = 0, "Yes", "No")

Each give me an error saying "An argument of function 'MOD' has the wrong data type or the result is too large or too small". 

My [Margin] is a decimal number and classified as such. Any idea what's going wrong? Any other ways to get the result I'm looking for?

Thanks, 
Ryan

Try creating a calculated column that just uses the inner formula

Eg. Column = mod ([margin] , 5)

And what does that show?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alanhodgson 

That results in an error. "The result of a conversion or arethmatic operation is either too large or too small.

@Phil_Seamark 

The calculated column  gives me "An argument of function 'MOD' has the wrong data type or the result is too large or too small" again. 

Try MOD (int ([margin]*100) ,5)

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hey @Anonymous,

The MOD function can be expressed in terms of the INT function: MOD(n, d) = n - d*INT(n/d)

Try this and see if the same error occurs:

DivisibleBy5 = IF(([Margin] - (0.05)*INT([Margin]/0.05)) = 0, "Yes", "No")

Hope this helps,

Alan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.