Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cortlin

Margin % Calculation Column

Hello, 
I'm new here, but was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how to perform a Margin % calcuation. I obviously have two columns "Sales" and "Cost". A simple calculation is =(Sales-Cost)/Sales. When I enter this formula into a new column and select the percentage format in Power BI desktop the calculation is way off! Here are some example numbers:

Sales: 3,610,000

Cost: 2,100,000
Net: 1,510,000
Expected Margin %: 41.82

Actual Returned: 103,600.13%

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Best // CD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I would not be creating Margin % calc as a column, you should create it as a measure and then you don't have to worry about how Margin % is being aggregated which is what you may be seeing when your numbers are off.

Also, you should use the DIVIDE() function to make sure you don't get affected by zeros

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj677276.aspx

so the calc should be something like this:

Margin % = DIVIDE(SUM(mytable[revenue]) - Sum(mytable[cost]), Sum(mytable[Revenue]))

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I would not be creating Margin % calc as a column, you should create it as a measure and then you don't have to worry about how Margin % is being aggregated which is what you may be seeing when your numbers are off.

Also, you should use the DIVIDE() function to make sure you don't get affected by zeros

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj677276.aspx

so the calc should be something like this:

Margin % = DIVIDE(SUM(mytable[revenue]) - Sum(mytable[cost]), Sum(mytable[Revenue]))

Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I still have an issue where the Sales and Cost columns from the DB table are correct, but the margin measure using the DIVIDE() operator is still returning an anomolous value, I suould suspect my model, right?  

July Release PBI, SS 2016 SP2

The model is two tables GLItemLevel and DaxDates with a one to many from the Date table to ItemLevel.

In SSMS I get a correct margin in SQL, but in Power BI i get the following 

My column values: 

Sales     Cost       

98          -70     So Margin should be 29.2%

Things that I tried and some worked and some did not.

MarginColumn = IF([Total Sales] = 0, 0, ([Total Sales] + [Total Cost] ) / [Total Sales])
Result: This resulted in a circular reference error.

MarginColumn = DIVIDE(SUM(ItemLevel[Sales Amount]) - SUM(ItemLevel[Cost]), Sum(ItemLevel[Sales Amount]))
Result: -134 Way off!

This column worked
Margin % = IF([Total Sales] = 0, 0, ([Total Sales] + [Total Cost] ) / [Total Sales])
Result: 29.2% Correct!

This column did not work
Margin = DIVIDE(SUM(ItemLevel[Sales Amount]) - SUM(ItemLevel[Cost]), Sum(ItemLevel[Sales Amount]))
Result: -13362.9% Way off!

This measure did not work:
MeasureMargin = DIVIDE((SUM(ItemLevel[Sales Amount]) - SUM(ItemLevel[Cost])), SUM(ItemLevel[Sales Amount]))
Result: 1.71 Way off!

This Measure worked:
MeasureMargin % = IF(SUM(ItemLevel[Sales Amount]) = 0, 0, (SUM(ItemLevel[Sales Amount]) + SUM(ItemLevel[Cost])) / SUM(ItemLevel[Sales Amount])) * 100
Result: 29.18%     Correct!

So I am confused.  Is the issue in the model or the way row level calculation in DAX works?

That worked like a charm. Now to understand why microsoft recomends columns vs. measures in this capacity? 

Thanks much!

// CD

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

if you are new to modeling with Power BI, you may want to go through this tutorial.  If frames up some basic concepts that you may find useful

http://businessintelligist.com/2014/11/21/tutorial-how-to-create-a-star-schema-model-in-power-bi-and...

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I used the following formula with the % turned on and it was OK:

GM = (sales[Sales] - sales[Cost]) / sales[Sales]

This was using Power BI Desktop and adding a new column. Did you insert a column or a measure?

I tried it with the Sales and Cost columns being whole numbers, decimal numbers, text and currency and the calculation was correct each time.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. I've checked, [Total] and [Total Cost] columns are set to data type 'Decimal Number' with Format set to 'Currency'. When I add a new column for GM% again Data Type is set to 'Decimal Number' and Format is set to 'Percantage". 

I've included a screenshot to my formula, I've just hiden the data source for privacy. 

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s101/sh/fa88aabc-7987-44a1-8332-83dc9933122d/a7005287056a1553e3c21931...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.