Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

silvermetalfox
Regular Visitor

March 2018 Update - openconnectionerror issue with SQL Server Analysis Services database (again)

I know that this error has been raised a number of times before, and the solution has been to update to the latest version. However, I already have the latest downloads of Power BI Desktop (March 2018) and I am still experiencing this problem.

This happens when trying to work with a Live Connection to an Azure SQL Server Analysis Services database. The company uses Active Directory for login purposes.

It might take several attempts to open an already created pbix file, or to connect up to allow me to create a new report; I could then be using the report for 10, 20, or 40 minutes without issue, but all of a sudden when I attempt to do something, anything, which I have already done a number of times in the session previously it will try to load the visuals and end up giving me the "Something went wrong" pop up with the "OpenConnectionError" issue.

Sometimes if I wait, it might begin working again after I have clicked 'Report this issue' a dozen or so times, but on other occasions it won't come back to me again.

I first began to have the problem in February when I updated to the January version, and have read the posts and comments on here since.

Any suggestions / ideas would be appreciated as it is currently rendering PBI unuseable.

3 REPLIES 3
prince
Regular Visitor

Same issue here.  We're going a trial run of migrating our on-premises SSAS model to Azure.  The fact that I can't connect to it in Azure is rather unfortunate and doesn't inspire confidence in this product.

Massu4
Frequent Visitor

Similar problem for me. It seems that Power Bi Service lost the permission to access the data source in my case.

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@silvermetalfox,

To get a better explanation for this issue, you may create a support ticket.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.