Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Maps and UK Regions not working

Im trying to add UK Regions to a map

I basically have two regions

East Midlands

Yorkshire and the Humber

And I set this to State or Provice but its not working properly (The hope is to drill down Region to county to District and then to Powercode)

Region.JPG

East Midlands isnt shown in England.

Looking at some help docs. It says to add England after Region with a comma so I tried that 

East Midlands,England

Yorkshire and the Humber,England

Again this doesnt work

RegionStateOrProvince.JPG

Another forum post suggested the above AND to change it to Place

RegionPlace.JPG

Nothing is coming up with it set like this,

How do I get this working so I can drill down From regions to County? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Debbie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @DebbieE,

>>I dont really understand why region isnt available as a location in Power BI?

Because it is not accurate enough to locate on a specific point, normally we will suggest using 'Latitude or longitude' information to help power bi mapping location points. (it will locate to that point even if they are no availed geo-locations at specific 'lat and long')

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you contact bing map support to confirm if your region is not available on the bing map or not available in power bi map visual. (power bi map are used bing map engine)

If it also not availed on bing map, you need to contact bing map support ask them to fix this locate issue.  If it only appears on power bi, you can contact to power bi team to report this issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @DebbieE ,

I'd like to suggest you take a look at official document to help power bi mapping locations more accurately:

Tips and Tricks for Power BI Map visualizations#in-the-dataset-tips-to-improve-the-underlying-datase... 

If above not help, you can also contact bine map support ask for how to mapping locations to specific regions.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I read this post to try and help me previously and didn’t get very far with it. 1.Categorize geographic fields in Power BI Desktop

Mentions Country/Region but in Power BI its just Country

I set my region to country and it just displays the map and shows no info. Unfortunately I don’t have Latitude or longitude in the data set so I cant use those.

I dont really understand why region isnt available as a location in Power BI?

HI @DebbieE,

>>I dont really understand why region isnt available as a location in Power BI?

Because it is not accurate enough to locate on a specific point, normally we will suggest using 'Latitude or longitude' information to help power bi mapping location points. (it will locate to that point even if they are no availed geo-locations at specific 'lat and long')

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you contact bing map support to confirm if your region is not available on the bing map or not available in power bi map visual. (power bi map are used bing map engine)

If it also not availed on bing map, you need to contact bing map support ask them to fix this locate issue.  If it only appears on power bi, you can contact to power bi team to report this issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.