Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

seabrew
Helper II
Helper II

Maps Visual Blank / Not Working in Desktop but works in PBI Service

For the past 30 days or so all the maps in PBI desktop only show the visual box and title. The map content is blank. However, when I look at any published report in the PBI service, the map is visable. 

I did further testing by installing PBI desktop on two other computers with the same PBI file and had the same issue. One of the computers was on a guest WiFi to elimiate our network causing the issue. 

I also tested with the "Retail Analysis" PBI sample data PBIX file and I have the same issue in the desktop. 

Any ideas what could be causing this? 

PBI ERROR - SAMPLE DATA.png

PBI ERROR.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Whew! This turned out to be a problem with our proxy. We had to add *.bing.com to the allow list to resolve. 

I didn't realize our proxy follows the computer even when on a guest network which is the reason I continued to have the issue off our internal network. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@seabrew wrote:

For the past 30 days or so all the maps in PBI desktop only show the visual box and title. The map content is blank. However, when I look at any published report in the PBI service, the map is visable. 

I did further testing by installing PBI desktop on two other computers with the same PBI file and had the same issue. One of the computers was on a guest WiFi to elimiate our network causing the issue. 

I also tested with the "Retail Analysis" PBI sample data PBIX file and I have the same issue in the desktop. 

Any ideas what could be causing this? 

PBI ERROR - SAMPLE DATA.png

PBI ERROR.png

@seabrew

I‘m not able to reproduce that issue, what is the version of your PBI desktop? Could you try either in September version or the latest? If error persists, can you share the pbix file to help reproduce the issue? You can upload it to Onedrive/Googledrive and share the link. Do remember to mask sensitive data before uploading.

Whew! This turned out to be a problem with our proxy. We had to add *.bing.com to the allow list to resolve. 

I didn't realize our proxy follows the computer even when on a guest network which is the reason I continued to have the issue off our internal network. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.