Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Michel_ja
Frequent Visitor

Mapping qualitative data in X and Y

Hi guys, I would like to do a mapping but none of my data in X and Y are numbers. If I take an example, we can imagine a map with juices brands, with the type of container (glass bottle, can, plastic glass, etc.) and with Y the tagetted purchasers (Young, sporty people, active people, etc.).. and in the middle we would have the brands (logotypes or names only). I thought on a scatter graph but it is not possible to have something it is not a number. With difference, a bar chart allows to have a least one axis with a qualitative category. Could you help ? Is it possible or not ?

If not possible, I thought on giving a different number to each of my containers, and puchasers targets; with this example, would it be possible to have the corresponding quali labels of each number on the axis to allow readers to understand?

Thank you very much.

Michel 

3 REPLIES 3
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I think the simplest way to do this would be with Charticulator.com.  If is a free no-code make-your-own-visual experience where you can output your DIY visual as a pbiviz file and use it in Power BI over and over.  Here is a video that walks through how to use it.  It is a little bit of a learning curve, but it's not that bad and kind of fun once you understand it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quKFfLkp4Ck

The other option would be to do it in a Matrix visual, and write a measure that returns the name of the product (or the brand image) where countrows() for example is not blank.  You might be able to change colors, gridlines, formatting to make it look like a chart.

If this works for you, please mark it as solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What if you formed your X and Y with a matrix visualization? One qualitative metric for Rows, the other for Columns. The Measure you would put in Values area would stitch them together.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg,

yes it works with a matrix table. However, because Power BI gives importance to visualization, I was thinking that it would be possible to have it on of matrix chart. The issue will happen when we have few measures exactly in same X an Y categories, with overlaps. But it seems that it is quite tricky, including with vba.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.