Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zudar
Post Patron
Post Patron

Mapping longitude/latitude coordinates into custom zones

Hi all,

I could use some advice on how to label longitude/latitude coordinates into a certain custom-defined area.

My data is for a specific airport and I want to relate coordinates to a certain terminal. 

The way I see it, I have to define areas and perform a lookup, so that a certain combination of latitude and longitude corresponds to a 'label' or area. But I don't think it's realistic to do this by hand: I have to have some sort of visual reference of, for example, Google Maps, where I can draw the outlines of each area.

Are there any (preferably free) tools that can give me such a visual reference and lookup table I can use to label my coordinates?

I'm using PowerBI Report Server Version 1.10.7698.27886 (January 2021).

Thank you! 🙂 

8 REPLIES 8
pgiorgi1
Frequent Visitor

I'm going to Grave Dig this up because in 2024 I have this exact same problem, 

I have a Region with 5 Zones, on a Shape Map,  my Data includes Specific  Lat and Long(GPS Data) however I need to populate the into those 5 zones without populating the specific locations.

Accoding to the documentation I've read I need to create a new column and assign each of the records with my GPS with an Identifier that matches the Zones on my map.  since I I have 22 million records manually assigning zones is not possible.

I was able to get the zones and their polygon GPS Location I also have the GEO Json file for my zones.

how to I take specific GPS Data and add my zone information to each row of my data?  any recomendations or suggestions would be great

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

@zudar 

So when you say you want to label Lat/Long co-ords what exactly do you mean?  Please provide an example of what you want as a result.

Do you want a new column that contains a text string that identifies a particular lat/long as 'Terminal A'?

Please provide some data and examples of your expected outcomes.

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

I'm looking for a way to define a custom area on a map so that lat/lang co-ords that fall into that area are labeled the way I want.

My guess is that it's not practical to define al possible co-ords and add labels to them by hand without any visual reference. That's what I meant with a lookup table. I guess there must be a better way..

In the end, I'm not even looking to visualize this data into a map (it would be a nice extra bonus though), but just to summarize my data per 'custom area'.

Does this make more sense?

HI @zudar 

Maybe this Synoptic Panel visual is what you are after.  It allows you to create custom maps/areas.

Synoptic Panel - OKVIZ

Regards

Phil

I don't think it is what I'm after.

I want to do analysis on GPS-data in a meaningful way, by labeling custom areas and GPS coordinates that fall into those custom areas with a 'name'.

Let me give an example..

If you had to show a table of Airport Terminals, with a total number of lat/long co-ord inputs based on data below.. what would you do?

Data example:

GPS-ID = 1, lat. = 24.5234, long = 10.3245

GPS-ID = 2, lat. = 24.5495, long = 10.1029

GPS-ID = 3, lat. = 24.5532, long = 10.8247

Let's say GPS-ID 1 & 2 fall into the area of Terminal A. And GPS-ID 3 is Terminal B.

Desired end result:

Terminal = A, Number of inputs = 2

Terminal = B, Number of inputs = 1

The Synoptic Panel is just a visualization where you can join your data through the 'label'. The problem is that my source data is raw GPS data without information about which Terminal it belongs to. I have to (somehow) do that myself.

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @zudar 

I'm not sure what you mean by having to do a lookup?  Or to label Lat/Long co-ords?

If you have Lat/Long then you can plot this on a standard Map visual.

Maybe a Filled Map is what you are after?

regards

Phil

Hi @PhilipTreacy,

I don't want to visualize the data on a map, I want to label certain locations (lat/long co-ords) with a label, so I can do further analysis per airport terminal. The problem is I have no idea how to tell PowerBI that coordinates in a certain area should be labeled with, for example, 'Terminal A'. I imagine a lookup should happen in the background that looks for a long/lat combination and a corresponding label, and return the correct label in the result set.

I was searching the forum and was looking to do this exact thing...label certain coordinates according to location. I found this post, but it seems it is about a year old and there was never a solution. Thought I'd give it a bump.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.