Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zudar
Post Patron
Post Patron

Mapping longitude/latitude coordinates into custom zones

Hi all,

I could use some advice on how to label longitude/latitude coordinates into a certain custom-defined area.

My data is for a specific airport and I want to relate coordinates to a certain terminal. 

The way I see it, I have to define areas and perform a lookup, so that a certain combination of latitude and longitude corresponds to a 'label' or area. But I don't think it's realistic to do this by hand: I have to have some sort of visual reference of, for example, Google Maps, where I can draw the outlines of each area.

Are there any (preferably free) tools that can give me such a visual reference and lookup table I can use to label my coordinates?

I'm using PowerBI Report Server Version 1.10.7698.27886 (January 2021).

Thank you! 🙂 

8 REPLIES 8
pgiorgi1
Frequent Visitor

I'm going to Grave Dig this up because in 2024 I have this exact same problem, 

I have a Region with 5 Zones, on a Shape Map,  my Data includes Specific  Lat and Long(GPS Data) however I need to populate the into those 5 zones without populating the specific locations.

Accoding to the documentation I've read I need to create a new column and assign each of the records with my GPS with an Identifier that matches the Zones on my map.  since I I have 22 million records manually assigning zones is not possible.

I was able to get the zones and their polygon GPS Location I also have the GEO Json file for my zones.

how to I take specific GPS Data and add my zone information to each row of my data?  any recomendations or suggestions would be great

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

@zudar 

So when you say you want to label Lat/Long co-ords what exactly do you mean?  Please provide an example of what you want as a result.

Do you want a new column that contains a text string that identifies a particular lat/long as 'Terminal A'?

Please provide some data and examples of your expected outcomes.

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

I'm looking for a way to define a custom area on a map so that lat/lang co-ords that fall into that area are labeled the way I want.

My guess is that it's not practical to define al possible co-ords and add labels to them by hand without any visual reference. That's what I meant with a lookup table. I guess there must be a better way..

In the end, I'm not even looking to visualize this data into a map (it would be a nice extra bonus though), but just to summarize my data per 'custom area'.

Does this make more sense?

HI @zudar 

Maybe this Synoptic Panel visual is what you are after.  It allows you to create custom maps/areas.

Synoptic Panel - OKVIZ

Regards

Phil

I don't think it is what I'm after.

I want to do analysis on GPS-data in a meaningful way, by labeling custom areas and GPS coordinates that fall into those custom areas with a 'name'.

Let me give an example..

If you had to show a table of Airport Terminals, with a total number of lat/long co-ord inputs based on data below.. what would you do?

Data example:

GPS-ID = 1, lat. = 24.5234, long = 10.3245

GPS-ID = 2, lat. = 24.5495, long = 10.1029

GPS-ID = 3, lat. = 24.5532, long = 10.8247

Let's say GPS-ID 1 & 2 fall into the area of Terminal A. And GPS-ID 3 is Terminal B.

Desired end result:

Terminal = A, Number of inputs = 2

Terminal = B, Number of inputs = 1

The Synoptic Panel is just a visualization where you can join your data through the 'label'. The problem is that my source data is raw GPS data without information about which Terminal it belongs to. I have to (somehow) do that myself.

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @zudar 

I'm not sure what you mean by having to do a lookup?  Or to label Lat/Long co-ords?

If you have Lat/Long then you can plot this on a standard Map visual.

Maybe a Filled Map is what you are after?

regards

Phil

Hi @PhilipTreacy,

I don't want to visualize the data on a map, I want to label certain locations (lat/long co-ords) with a label, so I can do further analysis per airport terminal. The problem is I have no idea how to tell PowerBI that coordinates in a certain area should be labeled with, for example, 'Terminal A'. I imagine a lookup should happen in the background that looks for a long/lat combination and a corresponding label, and return the correct label in the result set.

I was searching the forum and was looking to do this exact thing...label certain coordinates according to location. I found this post, but it seems it is about a year old and there was never a solution. Thought I'd give it a bump.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.