Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cjacob
Frequent Visitor

Mapping latitude and longitude without showing coordinates in label

Hi,

I am trying to map some location data using lat and long coordinates but I do not want these to show up on the labels on the map (as they do in the first screenshot). I saw a previous suggested solution on here which was to use an average of lat and long values but I do not have the option to average them (see second screenshot). Does anyone have any other ideas? I want the label to only show the institution name.

Thanks!

powerbi_1.png.jpgpowerbi_2.png.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, this is basic Power BI tooltip functionality.  Your only option is to turn off tooltips entirely.

Think of a tooltip when you hover over a line chart.  It always shows the data along with the value.  And when you hover over a bar in a bar chart, it always shows the category for that bar.

I understand your desire, but i hope you see how introducing that ability to turn the labels off for a tooltip could lead to misrepresenting data.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cliffb

I disagree with the argument for mandating lat/long in the map tooltip. When I look at a bar in a bar chart, the visual appearance of bar gives me quick information, and then the exact value in the tooltip provides unquestionable precision.

But when I use lat/long in the map viz to eliminate address issues for the rendering engine, I am in no way asking the user to visit my stores by dropping coordinates into an orienteering gps system. Tooltipping those values should always be an option, not a mandate.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, this is basic Power BI tooltip functionality.  Your only option is to turn off tooltips entirely.

Think of a tooltip when you hover over a line chart.  It always shows the data along with the value.  And when you hover over a bar in a bar chart, it always shows the category for that bar.

I understand your desire, but i hope you see how introducing that ability to turn the labels off for a tooltip could lead to misrepresenting data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.