Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

send2prasan
Helper I
Helper I

Mapping and limitations

Dear all,

I have couple of questions related Mapping capability in power bi. My data hierarchy is something like this

Level 1: Area ==> Filled map to represent the bountry of various areas

Level 2: Church ==> once I click on specific are Churches to be marked as bubble map

Level 3: Pioneer ==> once I select church, pioners under church need to be marked again as bubble

Level 4: Fellowship ==> Once I select pioneer, Fellowship under that needs to be marked

All these entities are having address in the following format.

Entity nameAddressCityStateZip codeCountryLatitudeLogitude
Area name/
Church name/
Pioneer name/
Fellowship name
0/1, 2nd Cross, Ulsoor Road, UlsoorBangaluruKarnataka560042India6.136180.254868

1. Can I have combination of filled chart and bobble chart. so that I can mark Area as Filled and rest all bubble. As per my knowledge this is not possible.
  2. Filled Map: I tried filled map. It marks 3 entities 4th one it did not. Above all it behave very strange. when I drill down to second level the auto focus takes Avg. Lat/Long and makes whole screen filled with next level entity.
  3. I have all the data for the country "Srilanka". For Choropleth I am not sure where to find the Json.
  4. I tried even with custom Shape Map. there is no drill down feature here.
  5. My question to you all can I drill down to 4th level in any one of the map.

I have been seeing maps maps from past 15 days. Please let me know which map could probaly suite my requirement. 

Trust I am not trobling you too much 🙂 Please let me know if you need the data to understand.

Thanks,

Prasanna V.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@send2prasan

I'm not sure whether it is possible or not, but it kind of goes against the idea of filled map. It's not suppose to be destinations, it's suppose to be larger areas. So plotting an entire address doesn't really make sense.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@send2prasan

It seems you already researched the subject pretty thoroughly. You can't have filled map and bubble map at the same visual. 

I'm not sure what you mean by the 4th level, could you explain more thoroughly?

Best,

Martin

Dear Martin,

Thanks for the quick reply, I am working on filled map and facing some strange problem. Please see "Mydata.png" and "MyMap.png" enclosed herewith for clarification:

Even though I have the state data in the format of "State, Country Code". The filled map is marking "Sri Lanka" states in "Ireland" (left hand top corner)

You can see I am trying to map the 4th entity as "Zip code 2"  ==> This is not working.

MyData.pngMyMap.png

Thanks,

Prasanna V.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@send2prasan

This approach has worked for me before:

Column = Postalcode&" "&Country

or

Column = Postalcode&" "&Countrycode

Try this and get back to me.

Martin,

This is not working for me. can you please try with these pin codes of SRI LANKA:

AgaliyaSri Lanka 80212
AhangamaSri Lanka 80650
AhungallaSri Lanka 80562
AkmeemanaSri Lanka 80090
AluthwalaSri Lanka 80332

Thanks,

Prasanna V.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like the filled map visualization can't take postal codes from sri lanka. It can however take the cities. Try this combination:

Table[City]&" "&Table[Country].

Dear all,

Please use this data file for mapping (WeTransfer link):

https://we.tl/IVOkIyNyYa

One more question: is there any way I can mark complete addres on filled map:

For example: No. 06 Heen Ela Road, 06, Hien Ela Road, Ambalangoda, Southern 80300, SRI LANKA

Thanks,

Prasanna V.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@send2prasan

I'm not sure whether it is possible or not, but it kind of goes against the idea of filled map. It's not suppose to be destinations, it's suppose to be larger areas. So plotting an entire address doesn't really make sense.

Dear Martin,

There should be some record to say that Postal code of Sri Lanka is not working on Power BI

Let me know where to record so that MS can take account of this 🙂

Thanks,

Prasanna V.

@send2prasan,

Could you please share the full sample data of your table that can be copied?  Besides, do you mean that 4th entity(Zip code2) doesn’t related to correct place?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors