Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AvionMarie
Helper II
Helper II

Mapping UK data by Lower Super Output Areas

Hello, I'm trying to map some UK deprivation data by small area Lower Super Output Areas.

Does anyone know what georgraphical data category I should be using for this, and which combination of data fields need to go within the location/latitude/legend/values boxes? I've tried lots of combinations for a filled map but not able to get it working.

The data I am using is open source government and can be downloaded here 

Note it's the 'LSOA code' column that needs to be mapped, coloured by the data in the column called index (IMD) decile.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
garceborwn
Regular Visitor

Hi, did you ever figure out how to do this? I'm trying to do the same thing and having difficulties.. 

Thanks

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

The default maps can only be used with geographical data that Bing can recognize. If it doesn't fit one of the data categories available, it will not plot with the default maps. Can these regions be mapped onto geographic data that Bing supports?

If not, you might want to check out the Synoptic Panel custom visual which allows arbitrary SVGs to be filled.

Edit: Silly link truncation in the forum.

Hi thanks for your reply.

The synoptic panel looks awesome but there's about 500 areas so I know this tool would be great for other work projects, but too time consuimg for this one! 🙂

I have the areas polygons in Mapinfo tab files - I'm not sure how to convert them into Bing supported data though - any advice?

Do the areas align with the borders of any of the following?

• City
  • Continent
  • Country/Region
  • County
  • Postal Code
  • State or Province

These are the geographic areas that can be mapped with the default maps in Power BI.

If the borders of your areas to not align with the borders of any of the areas above, then you will have to use something besides the default Power BI maps. The Synoptic Panel is the best option I can think of in Power BI. Perhaps another reporting tool would suit you better, but I doubt it if their maps don't support LSOAs by default.

The Synoptic Panel works with any SVG file. Start here and see if you can find a pre-made SVG of your areas.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.