Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

khappersett
Resolver I
Resolver I

Mapping Incorrect Location

I am trying to map Sales Dollars by state/province, but some of my locations are being mapped incorrectly. For example, I have the province Nova Scotia in Canada being mapped to New South Wales in Australia. In my data, the province is listed as NS. I have tried making a new column that lists it as NS, Canada but it still maps to Australia. I have also tried listing it as NS, "zip code", Canada but it still maps to Australia. I have kept the data category to state/province in all these scenarios.

It also seems strange to me that if I map the column with just state/province abbreviations, it maps some states differently than if I map the column with "state abbreviation, country" (keeping both data categories as state/province). For example, if I map my locations using only the states, Texas is filled and British Columbia is not filled, but if I map "state abbreviation, country" then BC is filled and Texas is not filled. Any ideas why it is doing this? Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
HDuva

I found the solution on https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Map-visualation-show-wrong-locations-after-update/m-p/20846...

Here are the steps:

1- In the datasource query editor, create a custom column with this formula =Text.Combine({[Address],[City],[Country]}, ", ")

2 - In the Modeling Tab of PBI Desktop, configure the data category for the new custom Column as type Place.

3 - Use the new custom column as location for the Map Control.

HDuva

I found the solution on https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Map-visualation-show-wrong-locations-after-update/m-p/20846...

Here are the steps:

1- In the datasource query editor, create a custom column with this formula =Text.Combine({[Address],[City],[Country]}, ", ")

2 - In the Modeling Tab of PBI Desktop, configure the data category for the new custom Column as type Place.

3 - Use the new custom column as location for the Map Control.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@khappersett,

Could you please share sample data of your table for us to test?

Besides, please follow the tips in the article below to create map visual in Power BI.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tips-and-tricks-for-power-bi-map-v...

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@khappersett

give the map all the information that you can ie put country in etc and it should map correctly

obviously there are so many locations in the world you need to be as specific as possible, i would definitely add country to everything.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

I already tried adding country to everything. I added country and ZIP as well, still with incorrect listings. 

@khappersett,

Please share sample data of your table so that we can reproduce.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors