Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Darko_Giac
Helper II
Helper II

Mapping Certain Regions to Certain Countries in PowerQuery

Hi all,

I'm currently working with a fairly large data set (a sample to which there is a link below).

Mapping in PowerQuery and Displaying in PowerPivot

I'm looking to map certain regions to one of two countries (there are four regions for the U.S. and 3 for Canada).

I'm working in PowerQuery (using Office ProPlus 365) and would like to create a report which displays a matrix of age by gender by race by country by region. The way I'm pulling in my data is by creating a connection to a folder with the file containing raw test-taker data. The reason being is that there are weekly updates for the data set (a new data set will be created containing new respondent data as well preserving previous respondent IDs).

It seems like a fairly straightforward activity, but the way I currently have my data set up and loading it into a pivot table, the 7 total regions will display for both the U.S. and Canada heading. The only solution I've come across is to unselect "show items with no data on columns" in the pivot table options, however, I would need this option checked off, as I would like to have all four regions for the U.S. displayed.

Essentially, I'm looking to only display regions relevant only to Canada and display those only relevant to the U.S. while preserving the layout/format of the pivot table. If there is no South data, for instance, I would like to keep that as a column, but only within the U.S., not Canadian header. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Darko_Giac,

Maybe you can try to use below query to 'unpivot columns' and clean up the area prefix.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("rdRNC4IwGAfwryKeG+hetI4hHTr0QhcP0eEhVw1kgQp9/VYatdojtQRhA/n/mP9nuN2GjIejcAGlNMvyXDUnCXVj9p9PPCbxxKz5STUy3I1MNvkjmz6zt50qLtIVdiQn3yVpRCi3kjzyTtLfkivTRdUmuZV8e3KjBBloKBToYCOP6qzdjPBhBGGRxYh4GCZyMzNwAl03HTOtzcuWoR4ME+Te6QvDhmHwSWVSNxWUbswhIcP69UCJ34G4IMIumqaohI/9waxhrw5qH8zrEnTR3QCGdP6H6HPDRUzuLbnF8dAi9/nqfhGfcY+YkkSgos+s+0W7R/TnhyO7Kw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Response ID" = _t, Gender = _t, US_NorthEast = _t, US_Midwest = _t, US_South = _t, US_West = _t, CAN_East = _t, CAN_Central = _t, CAN_West = _t, Age = _t, Race = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Response ID", Int64.Type}, {"Gender", type text}, {"US_NorthEast", type text}, {"US_Midwest", type text}, {"US_South", type text}, {"US_West", type text}, {"CAN_East", type text}, {"CAN_Central", type text}, {"CAN_West", type text}, {"Age", type text}, {"Race", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Response ID", "Gender", "Age", "Race"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    TextToRemove= {"US_","CAN_"},
    Cleaned = Table.TransformColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns",{{"Attribute", each List.Accumulate(TextToRemove,_,(String,Remove) => Text.Replace(String,Remove,""))}})
in
    Cleaned

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Darko_Giac,

Maybe you can try to use below query to 'unpivot columns' and clean up the area prefix.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("rdRNC4IwGAfwryKeG+hetI4hHTr0QhcP0eEhVw1kgQp9/VYatdojtQRhA/n/mP9nuN2GjIejcAGlNMvyXDUnCXVj9p9PPCbxxKz5STUy3I1MNvkjmz6zt50qLtIVdiQn3yVpRCi3kjzyTtLfkivTRdUmuZV8e3KjBBloKBToYCOP6qzdjPBhBGGRxYh4GCZyMzNwAl03HTOtzcuWoR4ME+Te6QvDhmHwSWVSNxWUbswhIcP69UCJ34G4IMIumqaohI/9waxhrw5qH8zrEnTR3QCGdP6H6HPDRUzuLbnF8dAi9/nqfhGfcY+YkkSgos+s+0W7R/TnhyO7Kw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Response ID" = _t, Gender = _t, US_NorthEast = _t, US_Midwest = _t, US_South = _t, US_West = _t, CAN_East = _t, CAN_Central = _t, CAN_West = _t, Age = _t, Race = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Response ID", Int64.Type}, {"Gender", type text}, {"US_NorthEast", type text}, {"US_Midwest", type text}, {"US_South", type text}, {"US_West", type text}, {"CAN_East", type text}, {"CAN_Central", type text}, {"CAN_West", type text}, {"Age", type text}, {"Race", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Response ID", "Gender", "Age", "Race"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    TextToRemove= {"US_","CAN_"},
    Cleaned = Table.TransformColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns",{{"Attribute", each List.Accumulate(TextToRemove,_,(String,Remove) => Text.Replace(String,Remove,""))}})
in
    Cleaned

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-shex-msft! Worked really well!

D.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.