Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Map with Static and Dynamic (date/time) data

Hi all,

Just wondering if it's possible to add Static Lats/Longs to the same Map that is built using data with Lats/Longs that have associated Date/Time data.

Eg

This image shows the map with the data with Date/Time fields. Data is for one person doing many trips in the period Nov-20 to Apr-21. Can I add Push Pins of various locations to this?

IVMS Map locations.jpg

A record has StartTime and StopTime and the Bubble size is StopTime - StartTime, meaning larger bubbles are longer journeys. Bubbles are located on the StartTime Lats/Longs.

Journeys will get filtered by date ranges, which can change, and I don't really want to add a 'Push Pin' for every date but thinking that's the only way to do this?

Happy to supply more info, any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I found out that there are Azure Maps and I can leverage the Reference Layer feature in this map. Just follow the Getting started page to setup the map.

I've managed to get the map to this point

IVMS Map locations - Reference layer.jpg

The Blue and Red dots are the layered data points added in via a *.json file. Code for that file

{
  "type": "FeatureCollection",
  "features": [
			{
				"type": "Feature",

"properties": {
					"color": "Red",
					"marker-size": "small"
				},

"geometry": {
					"type": "MultiPoint",
					"coordinates": [ [150.32385560, -26.87570000], [ 150.90156390, -27.16199722 ] ]
				}
			}

{

"color": "Blue",
				},

"coordinates": [ [ 148.393306, -25.433417] ]
				}
			}
			]
}

Some limitations I'm working on:

- these layered points cannot use the OnHover tooltips

- I still haven't worked out how to add a label of some description (very new to json)

- making changes to the file, eg changing the color from Red to Green, then saving it don't go across to the PBI report. The file must be removed then added back it ... I need the Lats/Longs in this file to be changeable so I'll be working on this as well

Hope this helps someone else 🙂

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for your sharing! Your idea is great. More people will benefit from your sharing.😊 Have you tried a custom visual called "Route Map"? I 

v-yuaj-msft_0-1619679620446.png

I did a test. Maybe it can meet part of your needs.

042901.gif

Please refer to the following links:

Power BI Custom Visuals - Route Map - YouTube

Power BI Custom Visuals - Route Map (pragmaticworks.com)

Best Regards,

Yuna

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I found out that there are Azure Maps and I can leverage the Reference Layer feature in this map. Just follow the Getting started page to setup the map.

I've managed to get the map to this point

IVMS Map locations - Reference layer.jpg

The Blue and Red dots are the layered data points added in via a *.json file. Code for that file

{
  "type": "FeatureCollection",
  "features": [
			{

"color": "Red",
				},

"coordinates": [ [150.32385560, -26.87570000], [ 150.90156390, -27.16199722 ] ]
				}
			}

{

"color": "Blue",
				},

"coordinates": [ [ 148.393306, -25.433417] ]
				}
			}
			]
}

Some limitations I'm working on:

- these layered points cannot use the OnHover tooltips

- I still haven't worked out how to add a label of some description (very new to json)

- making changes to the file, eg changing the color from Red to Green, then saving it don't go across to the PBI report. The file must be removed then added back it ... I need the Lats/Longs in this file to be changeable so I'll be working on this as well

Hope this helps someone else 🙂

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for your sharing! Your idea is great. More people will benefit from your sharing.😊 Have you tried a custom visual called "Route Map"? I 

v-yuaj-msft_0-1619679620446.png

I did a test. Maybe it can meet part of your needs.

042901.gif

Please refer to the following links:

Power BI Custom Visuals - Route Map - YouTube

Power BI Custom Visuals - Route Map (pragmaticworks.com)

Best Regards,

Yuna

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuaj-msft 

Thank you for this, I will definitely be giving this a try!!

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your problem.

Best Regards,

Yuna

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.