Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sohananahid
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Map visuals: more data (bubbles) showing than expected

Good day! I have a summary “Table” visual that shows some ‘Events’ for a ‘Scheduler’ [should be notified] for the ‘Pipelines’ they work on.. E.g. there are 3 events for a scheduler, XYZ. Now, I have a “Map” [regular map] that shows those events as bubbles in the map.  For the ‘Map’:  I have a slicer for date range, another slicer for the schedulers [drop down for all or a specific one], a slicer for pipelines [drop down list].  But, I see more bubbles (e.g. more than 3 for scheduler, XYZ) on the map. I am using 3 different data sources: DS1: events,  DS2: pipeline locations & DS3: schedulers The relationships are:

Many to many between DS1 & DS2 [on pipeline name], Many to many between DS1 & DS3 [on pipeline name]

For the Map:  For ‘Location’ field, I tried to use ‘loc_name’ or ‘location_id’  [from DS2]  - but that probably is causing more bubbles to show up than the actual one. I changed the map to a ‘Table’ visual and found for same ‘loc_name’ or ‘location_id’ the events are calculated multiple times!

sohananahid_0-1594163704695.png

I changed ‘Location’ field to have ‘event summary’ from DS1. It shows less bubbles now but  they are on top of each other and no map shows up [kinda a board with bubbles]! For map visual-> what should I do that I may have been missing?

Much appreciated in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
sohananahid
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Hi  @lbendlin 

The many-to-many relationship between the events and schedulers [same for the other one]  was selected by Power bI. When I try to change the relationship for events and schedulers to be many to 1 considering many events can happen to one pipeline [1 scheduler takes care of 1 or more pipeline(s) ], it doesn't let me change the relationship [PFB]

sohananahid_0-1594177747944.png

Thanks. ~Sohana

That means you either have a data quality issue in your data, or you may need to rethink the entire project.  Generally you want to have a data model that is at least resembling a star or snowflake schema, with "dimensions"  on the one side of a relationship and "facts" on the many side.

Hi all: I also have questions on 'Map' [regular map] visual:

1. what should i use for 'Location'?

2. for longitutde/ latitude: which one I use- min/max/average?

3. Do I have to make the category of latitude/longitude/county/state/  in 'Data' view-> Model-> Category-> right category e.g Latitude/Longitude/county/state etc. rahter than leaving those 'uncategorized'? I haven't seen any difference so far!

Thanks. ~Sohana

Hi ,  @sohananahid 

It's better to  recheck your data type, summarization and data category.

You may check if this tutorial helps.

https://radacad.com/how-to-do-power-bi-mapping-with-latitude-and-longitude-only

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Are you sure about your many-to-many relationships? can there be events across pipelines? Can multiple schedulers work on an event?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.