Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sohananahid
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Map visuals: more data (bubbles) showing than expected

Good day! I have a summary “Table” visual that shows some ‘Events’ for a ‘Scheduler’ [should be notified] for the ‘Pipelines’ they work on.. E.g. there are 3 events for a scheduler, XYZ. Now, I have a “Map” [regular map] that shows those events as bubbles in the map.  For the ‘Map’:  I have a slicer for date range, another slicer for the schedulers [drop down for all or a specific one], a slicer for pipelines [drop down list].  But, I see more bubbles (e.g. more than 3 for scheduler, XYZ) on the map. I am using 3 different data sources: DS1: events,  DS2: pipeline locations & DS3: schedulers The relationships are:

Many to many between DS1 & DS2 [on pipeline name], Many to many between DS1 & DS3 [on pipeline name]

For the Map:  For ‘Location’ field, I tried to use ‘loc_name’ or ‘location_id’  [from DS2]  - but that probably is causing more bubbles to show up than the actual one. I changed the map to a ‘Table’ visual and found for same ‘loc_name’ or ‘location_id’ the events are calculated multiple times!

sohananahid_0-1594163704695.png

I changed ‘Location’ field to have ‘event summary’ from DS1. It shows less bubbles now but  they are on top of each other and no map shows up [kinda a board with bubbles]! For map visual-> what should I do that I may have been missing?

Much appreciated in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
sohananahid
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Hi  @lbendlin 

The many-to-many relationship between the events and schedulers [same for the other one]  was selected by Power bI. When I try to change the relationship for events and schedulers to be many to 1 considering many events can happen to one pipeline [1 scheduler takes care of 1 or more pipeline(s) ], it doesn't let me change the relationship [PFB]

sohananahid_0-1594177747944.png

Thanks. ~Sohana

That means you either have a data quality issue in your data, or you may need to rethink the entire project.  Generally you want to have a data model that is at least resembling a star or snowflake schema, with "dimensions"  on the one side of a relationship and "facts" on the many side.

Hi all: I also have questions on 'Map' [regular map] visual:

1. what should i use for 'Location'?

2. for longitutde/ latitude: which one I use- min/max/average?

3. Do I have to make the category of latitude/longitude/county/state/  in 'Data' view-> Model-> Category-> right category e.g Latitude/Longitude/county/state etc. rahter than leaving those 'uncategorized'? I haven't seen any difference so far!

Thanks. ~Sohana

Hi ,  @sohananahid 

It's better to  recheck your data type, summarization and data category.

You may check if this tutorial helps.

https://radacad.com/how-to-do-power-bi-mapping-with-latitude-and-longitude-only

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Are you sure about your many-to-many relationships? can there be events across pipelines? Can multiple schedulers work on an event?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors