Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fabiann
Helper I
Helper I

Map visualisation

Map visualisation

Hello,

Where can I find the list of countries used by the Map visualisation?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Fabiann ,

Yes you are right. Looking at the map bahaviour, I would suggest changing United States of America to USA. 

After doing some more investigation, I found a blog where it refers to a standard link for country names:

Blog: https://blog.ailon.org/how-to-display-2-letter-country-data-on-a-power-bi-map-85fc738497d6

Standard country names & codeshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1

If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Fabiann ,

Just wanted to check which map visualisation you are talking about?

Most of the map visuala in Power BI use geographic location based metrics like Latitude, Longitude, Postcode, etc.

So, there is not a list of countries for it. It will visualise any location in the world based on the demographic details you use to create this visualisation.

If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Thanks,
Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

In the Visualizations pane this is the simple one called "Map". The source of the data has a field called "Country" and nothing else.

However, depending the way you name the country, it appears correctlyt or not.

If you enter "USA" or "U.S.A." versus "United States of America", then it doesn't appear properly. 

We have to make sure the entry is "United States of America", so in order to avoid that, we want to offer a drop down list as data entry rather than free text, so we need the full list of country that the visualization "Map" is using.

PBIDesktop_2020-04-02_14-01-34.jpg

Hi @Fabiann ,

When I click on this visual, I see that it uses - Latitude, Longituge as inputs.

m1.png

In order to create this visualisation using your data, you atleast need Latitude & Longitude in your data. 

Did you try moving "Country" name to Location?

If it works, in that case you will have to correct your data in order to get U.S.A same as USA.

Can you post a screenshot with the map created by you using COUNTRY name?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

As you can see below, I just use the Country as location.

What I am looking is "what is the list of country that the Map visualization is using"?

Does that make sense?

If the data is "United States of America" then it works, if it is for example USA, then it doesn't work.

So yes I agree with you that I need to control the entry, hence I am looking the exact list of countries used to set i up as a drop down list so users when entering data will not be able to enter something else.

PBIDesktop_2020-04-02_14-16-29.jpg

Hi @Fabiann ,

Have you set any data category under Modelling tab for your Country column in data or is it just a text?

m2.png

If not then try doing this to your country column and then re-produce the map visual and check.

Also I found these following links useful:

https://radacad.com/power-bi-filled-map-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/power-bi-map-3-letter-country-code/td-p/171395

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thank you Pragati for your help and support so far, very kind of you.

I have changed the modelling for Country as "Country/Region", the list has 43 records in "United States of America" then to test I have changed one record to be USA and refresh data, and I have a strange behaviour

Obviously the Stacked Bar chart is showing "United States of America" = 42, and then "USA" = 1, which is normal, text label for country.

But you see the map below is showing now USA with one record, as before it was showing 43 records while Country = "United States of America".

Hence the reason I was looking for the list of countries that the visualization is using, I don't know if it is Bing or something else.

But surely it is using the text data to pin the record on the map.

PBIDesktop_2020-04-02_16-41-45.jpg

Hi @Fabiann ,

Yes you are right. Looking at the map bahaviour, I would suggest changing United States of America to USA. 

After doing some more investigation, I found a blog where it refers to a standard link for country names:

Blog: https://blog.ailon.org/how-to-display-2-letter-country-data-on-a-power-bi-map-85fc738497d6

Standard country names & codeshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Many thanks!!

Used the ISO-3366-1 and worked fine

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.