Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

david2
Helper I
Helper I

Map visual: preventing piechart and showing data in tooltip

Hi all,

I have a table with partner companies which has the following columns (among others, that are irrelevant for this visual)

• painterName
  • Phone number
  • location (Zip Code (PLZ), in Germany)
  • Status (e.g. "Active", "Interested", "Blacklist", etc.)

I would like to plot these partners on a map, where each partner company is depicted by a single bubble. The color of the bubble should indicate the status. Further, i would like the tooltip to show the Company name and phone number for each individual bubble.

I created the map (see below), but two things are going wrong:

1. Not every partner company is depicted by a single bubble, but some bubbles represent multiple partners. See the tooltip in the example. There are 4 painters at this location of which 3 are interested (yellow) and one is active (green). This is depicted as one pie chart which is 75% yellow and 25% green.

--> is it possible to depict this as four individual bubbles, each with their own color?

2. The tooltip is showing the count of paintername and phone, but not the actual value. I looked into this topic, which suggests a solution by creating a Measure with the VALUES function to display the relevant data in the tooltip. However, when i do this, i get an error (see second pic below), as the VALUES function returns a column of 4 values in one tooltip, rather than four tooltips with one value each. I think this problem will automatically be solved when each of the painters is depicted by a single bubble (question 1), but i might be off.

--> Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

mapmaperrorerror 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@david2

Create a new column

partnersData = Table1[PartnerName] & "-" & Table1[Status] & "-" & Table1[phone]

Next create a measure:

PartnersInfo = CONCATENATEX(Table1,Table1[partnersData],"|")

Use this measure in tooltip area.

dd.png

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi david2,

Well, as the Map visual identify the location based on the postal code, so currently I don't think having the 3 people in the same location displayed in 3 bubbles.

For Question 2, I could think out a way to deal with that, which would need to know how the data table you stored for the locations and the partners.

For example, if the data table is somehow the structure below:

LocationPeople
A1
A2
B3
C4
C5

Then we may write a measure to show the names, when location contains more than one partner value, we concatenate the name string into one, with this the visual should be able to display the 3 partner names.

Partnername = CONCATENATEX(VALUES('Table'[Partner]),'Table'[Partner],",")

Put this measure into Tooltips.

If this is not working, please share your data model, and we will help to check.

Regards

Hi @v-micsh-msft,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was already afraid that plotting 3 bubbles on the same location would not be possible, since 3they would overlap. I guess we'll have to start collecting a more detailed address of our partners anyway.

Regarding your answer on question 2, my table is structured as follows (simplified example):

painterList.JPG

Ideally, i would like the bubble on location 10001 to show something like "John - Active - 12313123; Pete - Interested - 12313123; Mike - Active - 12313123".

Any idea how to achieve that?

Best,

David

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@david2

Create a new column

partnersData = Table1[PartnerName] & "-" & Table1[Status] & "-" & Table1[phone]

Next create a measure:

PartnersInfo = CONCATENATEX(Table1,Table1[partnersData],"|")

Use this measure in tooltip area.

dd.png

Lima - Peru

Works like a charm! Thanks @Vvelarde 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.