Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

carinevereecken

Map visual doesn't work

I've been trying for a while now to display my data with the standard Map visual. But I don't get a map, just a white rectangle.
I tried to reinstall Power BI and lo and behold it worked but when I closed Power BI and reopened my pbix file without changing anything to it the map was gone again. What is going wrong.

In attach you can find a simple testdata set (TestMap.pbix) and a screenshot.

Thanks in advance,

10 REPLIES 10
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @carinevereecken ,

According to the official document, Map visual do not need licenses.

Eyelyn9_1-1634716304371.png

Actually I have tested your pbix file with another Free account , and even without a login account, the Map visual worked fine on my computer as well.

Eyelyn9_0-1634715854801.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @carinevereecken ,

It works on my side:

Eyelyn9_0-1634005977941.png

What's your Power BI version? Please always use the latest version.

Eyelyn9_2-1634006444598.png

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Eyelyn,

I have the same Power BI version on both laptops which is the latest version.
version 2.97.921.0 64-bit (september 2021)

Both laptops run Windows 10

Best regards,

Hi @carinevereecken ,

According to this:  I tried it on another computer (same homenetwork) and there it works  ,and ruled out the version problem. I agree with @TomMartens ,it most likely caused by network/firewall/proxy...

Now please check the proxy problem as mentioned from a similar thread:

Eyelyn9_0-1634088633288.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

I tried it at work and there it seemed to work. We have a free Power BI account.
So back at home I tried to connect to the domain of my work over VPN and then the map visual also works at home.
Turns out that the laptop where it already worked before I was logged on with another account with a Power BI PRO license.
So it must have something to do with rights. Is that possible?

Best regards,

Hey @carinevereecken ,

to some extent it's correct that you are saying "...to do with rights ...", but not in the sense that a PRO license can achieve less than a Free license.

Not sure, if you are saying: connected with a user, if this means connected to your laptop or inside Power BI Desktop.

If it's a work laptop, then it's most likely that policy rules are preventing the current windows user visiting certain domains (directly or indirectly) without using the VPN. The default map visuals are using some content from maps.bing.

If you are referring to the connection that Power BI establishes to the content, then things become more complex.

Using Fiddler to get the network trace (especially the HTTP requests) is also not that simple and requires some configuration, please refer to the fiddler documentation. Interesting things are HTTP requests that return a 4XX error code. This most likely means that access to the HTTP address is prohibited  and is to enabled by your Firewall/Policy admins.

Hopefully, this provides some additional insights.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@carinevereecken 

It works fine for me. Try to open it on another computer and check, some firewall or network issues/restriction could be a reasason.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Thank you for your reply.

I tried it on another computer (same homenetwork) and there it works but I can't borrow somebody else's computer whenever I want to create a map.
How can I make it work on my computer? I tried disabling the firewall in Windows without success.

Best regards,

Hey @carinevereecken ,

as it seems it's your computer, at least we know now something. For this reason, I recommend get starting to know Fiddler: https://www.telerik.com/download/fiddler

All kind of map visuals are requiring more or less requests to 3rd party services getting the layers, and similar things. Fiddler will help you to discover what's going on.

Hopefully this will help to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thank you for your anwser!

I get the following response in fiddler but I can't make much of it to be honest.
Does it tell you anything?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z1nRQNjQmYa8j4VzvYbUYIEMDgkGgT5w/view?usp=sharing

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.