Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Map visual - best way to create a custom map visual binding data by postcode (zip code)

Hi,

I have been given the task of producing a map of the United Kingdon (UK) and binding regional data to the map by region. However, our regions are not the standard UK regions of North East, South West, etc... Our regions overlap regions and postcodes - in the sense that the letter parts (i.e. B1 2NH) of a postcode is not granular enough, for example:
The Birmingham postcode starts with the letter 'B' but this can have a range of B1-B98 (i.e. B1 2NH through to B98 1GS).

We can have multiple regions that exist within/span across the B1-B98 postcode range. So we need to be able to take this a step further and brake the regions down into postcode letter and numbers, for example:

B1 2NH through to B7 4BN could be our 'Midlands East' region.
B8 1AW through to B22 9KT could be our 'Midlands Central' region.

and so on.

On a map the postcodes (B1-B7) will have a set geographical area, and so will B8-B22.

So to my question, what options do I have to create a map visual with customised regions that I can bind our data to?

An example on what I've tried so far, is the use of the synoptic design map:
1) Find a United Kingdom map outline from the web.
2) Import that to Method Draw (or equivalent software) so to manually draw of regions over the top of the UK outline.

3) Import that the result from 2) into synoptic design to get ready to set the binding. However, I found that the synoptic map didn't grant the binding area to the very edge of the manually drawn region borders and therefore I had to painstakingly drag and drop, what seemed like a million, points so to get the binding areas to the very edge of the region borders.

4) Import the synoptic map into Power BI and drag the data fields into the visual's properties.

This has worked but the regions are not precise and we intend to use custom map visual greatly and having to follow these steps each time, and still not have it totally accurate, is something I would like to avoid.

With all said, can someone suggest a way to use fixed location mapping as granular as postcodes are?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Seemed that the filled map could meet your requirement.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.