Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Map showing wrong location

Hey All,

I have a map visualisation that shows wrong places.

Examples are in screen shots below.

What can I do about it?

Some points, however, show in the correct place.

2019-08-27 10_48_44-papercut - Remote Desktop Connection.png2019-08-27 10_47_34-papercut - Remote Desktop Connection.png

Cheers!
A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft 

I have done that already. Tried a few categories, that is why it is not showing correctly in the screenshot.

Anyhow,I found the root cause.

I have duplicates on the location name --> Same location name but in a different state. So the map is showing an average lat/long for all places with the same name.

The solution:

I have created a custom column that will concatenate the (Location, State, Country). That resolved my problem.

_1.png

Cheers!
A

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

It seems the location is confusing the mapping.

The map will behave differently if you specify the column to be a City or County etc.

Please change the "Data category" to the correct format: city, state, or something else.

https://www.biinsight.com/how-to-overcome-map-related-issues-in-power-bi-power-view-and-power-map/

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @v-juanli-msft 

Thanks for your reply.

I am using Latitude and Longitude and not city/state/country names.

For example Longrech
In bing maps shows the correct location.

The values I have in my dataset is -34.87, 150.524 as you can see in the screenshot below for bing.

2019-08-29 14_32_42-Window.png

However, in PBI the numbers are different.

2019-08-29 14_35_04-Window.png

And my settings

2019-08-29 14_38_56-Window.png

Cheers!
A

Hi @Anonymous 

In Modeling->Data category

change columns "Latitude" and "Longitude" to  "Latitude" and "Longitude" type.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft 

I have done that already. Tried a few categories, that is why it is not showing correctly in the screenshot.

Anyhow,I found the root cause.

I have duplicates on the location name --> Same location name but in a different state. So the map is showing an average lat/long for all places with the same name.

The solution:

I have created a custom column that will concatenate the (Location, State, Country). That resolved my problem.

_1.png

Cheers!
A

Thanks for explaining what was happening and finding your own solution.  It kind of makes sense why Power BI is doing that , but for some reason, Microsoft recommends NOT using a concatenated string in one of their docs pages and says that if all fields are defined wiht the data category and then put in a hierarchy, that will be used to determine the location. 

My other thought would be to remove the location information from the Location field well and put it in the Tooltip.  Bubble maps work with just lat/lon fields and no location.   That way, the lat lon should not get aggregated.

Please let me know if you have time to play with this as well and if it gives you what you need. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.