Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dvotf
Frequent Visitor

Map showing all places in all locations

I'm trying to get a simple map example working but it's not working as expected. I've three headings: Name, Latitude, Longitude. Latitude and Longitude are working as expected, with the markers appearing where they should. But when I add in the Name entries (into Legend), it shows them all in every location like a mini pie chart (see screenshot below).

PowerBIMap.PNG

I'm just using a very simple dataset to try this out:

Name	Longitude	Latitude
Paris	2.343179	48.86206
London	-0.102216	51.51786
Berlin	13.40233	52.50141
Madrid	-3.705769	40.41792
Dublin	-6.261357	53.34379

Has anyone any idea why this is happening and how to fix it? I want to be able to indicate on the map where each location is using a colored legend (or equivalent).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not sure if the pie charts you are getting if that is a true issue or "by design" but you are getting them because you do not have anything in your Size field. If you put anything in your Size field you will not see the pie charts. I would recommend dropping Name into the Size field and then you will have what you want. The size should default to "Count of Name".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not sure if the pie charts you are getting if that is a true issue or "by design" but you are getting them because you do not have anything in your Size field. If you put anything in your Size field you will not see the pie charts. I would recommend dropping Name into the Size field and then you will have what you want. The size should default to "Count of Name".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

That worked. Thanks for the reply smoupre.

Adding the "Name" to the "Size" field caused everything to appear the way I was expecting.  Seems counter-intuitive but what harm. Problem solved.

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dvotf this map visual is meant to show dots based on some measure calculated per-location. That measure determines the size of the dot (like Total Sales per city or something like that), and a secondary column can break the dot down into pie slices (sales by item category for instance). It looks like you just want to chart locations on the map with no measure per-location, so that each dot is the same size and effectively works as a pin in the map, and that's not really the intended functionality of this visual. It only seems counterintuitive because your particular use case doesn't require size, even though you're using a chart that does. @Greg_Deckler's suggestion is just a workaround to give the visual all of the basic info it expects for normal functionality, sort of a placeholder for the one part you're not using.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Maybe the issue is that there isn't a basic description of the intended purpose of each of the visualizations. Does anybody know of one? I've looked online but can't find anything unless I want to watch hours of video to try and catch use cases.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.