Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Map not picking up data point

I have a simple dataset with City, State, and Zip fields that I combined into one [Location] field. I am counting Events by this Location. A table visual (right) shows Pigeon Forge, TN has the highest number of events. But on the map, Alcoa, TN is the larget bubble, and Pigeon Forge is NOT EVEN SHOWN. I thought there might be something wrong with the data point, maybe the Zip Code did not line up with the city.

But a Bing search of 37863 shows a valid location.

2018-01-02_12-52-01.png2018-01-02_12-45-18.pngIt's like the Map Visual doesn't like the data point.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

The Event ID is set as a COUNT aggregation in both the table and the Map.

Funny, I just refreshed the report page and it looks to be showing correctly.

NOT a data issue as I have done nothing to the data between then and now.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

View solution in original post

@v-ljerr-msft:

Yeah, well, I feel kind of funny marking my own response as the solution when all I did was wait one day and try it again.

I had opened and closed that same PBIX file with the map several time so it had ample attempts to re-generate the map visual and every time that one data point (and several others as well) were missing.

Solution: "Wait a day or two and it fixes itself" doesn't give me all that much confidence. 😕

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

The Event ID is set as a COUNT aggregation in both the table and the Map.

Funny, I just refreshed the report page and it looks to be showing correctly.

NOT a data issue as I have done nothing to the data between then and now.

Hi @ToddChitt,

Great to hear the problem got resolved! Could you accept your reply above as solution to close this thread? Smiley Happy

Regards

@v-ljerr-msft:

Yeah, well, I feel kind of funny marking my own response as the solution when all I did was wait one day and try it again.

I had opened and closed that same PBIX file with the map several time so it had ample attempts to re-generate the map visual and every time that one data point (and several others as well) were missing.

Solution: "Wait a day or two and it fixes itself" doesn't give me all that much confidence. 😕

@ToddChitt

Awesome. Glad it is working now!

ccakjcrx
Resolver I
Resolver I

@ToddChitt

Hey!

Happy New Year. 

I'm not sure if this will help, but I wanted to give it a shot. 

I see one large bubble on your map, and several other bubbles that appear to be the same size. I don't have access to your data, so I have to guess about some settings in your pbi desktop file (i.e., .pbix file). In your file, is your 'Event ID' values shown in your table visual a summation of a number of events in your model, or is 183 is an actual value under the 'Event ID' column on the 'Pigeon Forge' row?

I set up some test data on my side, and have some random patient names (generated on randomlists.com) for zip codes in South Carolina. I then created a map in pbi desktop using the five character zip code as the location and specified the patient name as the 'Size' field. I made sure pbi didn't summarize the zip codes; similarly, I set the size to count the patient names. Click HERE for my pbix file. 

In the event it may be a simple field setting for the map visualization, here is an image of my visuals and the map settings:

Screenshot.jpg

Hope this helps! If not, my apologies.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.