Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

cartessius

Map not displaying data points

Hello,

I am following a LinkedIn tutorial regarding Power BI, and the tutorial uses online sample dashboard "Retail Analysis Sample".

The problem I am having is with displaying data points in case when I want to create a new report. After dragging and dropping a map icon and CITY object to the canvas the map is shown but no data is shown. 

(By right-clicking on the map and choosing "Show Data" I can see the data in table form.)

Map not showing data points

Did anyone face similar issues?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @cartessius,

By my tests, if you change the Data Category of the City column to be Place, it will show successfully.

map.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the latest version of Power BI Desktop the data category is selected from here:

Map visual 1.png

cartessius

Hello,

I am using a sample Power BI application "Retail Analysis Sample" while following a Linkedin tutorial about Power BI.

When I drag-and-drop CITY field to a canvas, the map i shown but no data poins are shown.

datapoints.png

Data points are shown neither on powerbi.com nor on Power BI desktop.

I first though the problem is with regional settings - decimal point vs comma - however, that does not seem to be a case.

Anyone has any idea on how to show data points with the sample data?

Thank you!

Hi @cartessius,

By my tests, if you change the Data Category of the City column to be Place, it will show successfully.

map.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-piga-msft !

The data is shown on the map by selecting the data category as Places.

Have a great day!

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi  @cartessius,

I can reproduce this issue in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service, I will report it internally and post back once I get any updates.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He

Hello @v-danhe-msft,

Thank you for your message. Cherry helped me with her suggestion (changing the data category to Places).

Cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.