Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gheesalias
Frequent Visitor

Map non AD users

Hi,

In this link,
Tech Tip Thursday: authentication with Analysis Services live connections : https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/tech-tip-thursday-user-principal-name-upn-mapping-in-power-...
i is mentioned there is some tweak which could be used to fake the map non-AD users , so that Analysis services connection could be demoed from a non AD system.

Any idea about that tweak? 

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gheesalias,

Based on my research, the email address that we sign into Power BI with is passed into EffectiveUserName has to match a UPN property on a local Active Directory account. For this reason, the Analysis Services machine has to be joined to a domain. The domain of the email address has to match a UPN Suffix within local Active Directory.

In your scenario, if you mean non-AD users are email address sign in the Power BI Service. You can follow below links to use Map User Names feature:

Guy in a Cube - How authentication works with Analysis Services live connections

Usernames with Analysis Services

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Many Thanks @v-qiuyu-msft, but in the links you gave, we have a video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=197&v=Qb5EEjkHoLg

In this video, at 3:05, he says for demo and testing purposes, we can fake it.. Any idea how to do that? I think he is not explaining how to do that. 😞

Hi @gheesalias,

The "fake" you mean is to use Map user names to make the SSAS server can recognize the email address which signed in Power BI Service.

The email address signed in service can be different from the domain the SSAS server belong to. For example, email address is cube@microsoft.com, while SSAS server domain is contoso.com. As the UPN Suffix in SSAS server active directory is contoso.com, we can't directly pass the cube@microsoft.com to SSAS server. So we need to replace the cube@microsoft.com as cube@contoso.com use Map user names feature. I would suggest you double check the articles share in my original post.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.