cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sash
Frequent Visitor

Map language display in Power BI Desktop

Hi,

Is there a way to change the language in which the map is displayed in PowerBI Desktop?

I'm using an English version of PowerBI desktop, but my computer has German locale settings. It seems that because of that the map is displayed with German location names and I can't find any setting to change it. I would like to "force" that the map is displayed in English, regardless of the locale settings.

Regards,

Saso

2 REPLIES 2
trutz
Advocate III
Advocate III

5 years later the issue still persists. My data source supplies English country names, but the Bing Map Visual only uses my German locale to identify the countries and therefore is not able to find certain countries. The visual has a setting for the Geocoding culture, but it only has the options "Auto" and "JA". JA probably is for Japan. Would be great if a lot more could be added.

v-caliao-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

@sash,

I have tested it on my local environment, the map displayed with English location names if I use a English version of Power BI desktop. And based on my reseach, currently, it is impossible to switch language of address objects on the map visual.

However, some ideas about localizing Map visualization in Power BI Desktop have been submitted in the following links, please vote them up.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9697527-please-localize-map-visua...
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/14935185-ability-to-plot-location...

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 1 episode 9_no_dates 768x460.jpg

The Power BI Community Show

Watch the playback when Priya Sathy and Charles Webb discuss Datamarts! Kelly also shares Power BI Community updates.

Power BI Dev Camp Session 24 without aka link and time 768x460.jpg

Ted's Dev Camp - July 28, 2022

Watch Session 24 of Ted's Dev Camp along with past sessions!

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors