Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Map is summarizing yearly data across countries

So I have a simple chart to represent on the Map: Population by country, by year.
This is a big list of just 3 columns, Country, Population (Decimal) and year (Date)
Of course everty country is represented multiple times, once per year.

So if I sort by name I get a list of Afghanistan for every year from 1952 to 2019.
Then for the next country, and so on.

My goal is to use the Play Axis to go through the years to watch the population grow.

But when I add this chart to the Map, it sums the population for each coutry across all the years.
I CANNOT set this to "Not Summarize", that option is simply not present.
I can set a filter for one year, but that doesn't achieve my goal. 
I added a manual slicer, and noticed a second problem...the cirlce sizes are somehow "adjusted" based only on that year, so the relatice size does not scale as the overll population grows....so even if I could get the Play Axis to work, it still wouldn't achieve the goal of swing an increase overtime.

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test, when I enable the Year Play Axis, it will return the corresponding Population value instead of Summarized value across all the years.

2.png

You can download my test pbix: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EZORVWXIyldPt6-y9iDWIXgBwHhVkbLAOR_Dk9MAalGaCg?e=8SBuOQ

>>so even if I could get the Play Axis to work, it still wouldn't achieve the goal of swing an increase overtime.

For your words, could you please share your desired output screenshots for further analysis? You can also upload sample pbix to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response.
I tested again, and you are correct, when I press "Play" the data is represented yearly.
However, then we get back to the second point.
The data is dispalyed relatively for each year, so the circle sizes barely move in relation to each other, and in relation to earlier years.

I want them to grow over time to represent the increasing population, it seems each year the bubble sizes are determien based on all the values FOR THAT YEAR, rathrr then the absolute values across the entire table.
So as a population for a country doubles, triples in size, the cirlce stays the same size, because world poulation growth is insufficintly different betwen coutries (at least since 1952) for this to be obvious.
Can I lock the size in relation to the overall data?
Let's say I have data that is constant relative to each row, but grows jsut as in my population data.

When I 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.