Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

laciodrom_80
Helper IV
Helper IV

Map default zoom: any trick?

Hi,

I'd like to set a default zoom level in my report's map, I know this is an open idea:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/10556214-allow-for-a-user-defined...

but isn't there any trick to do this: for example using power map in excel?

Thanks a lot

Luca
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@laciodrom_80

The only trick I know is to use the slicer. We can divide locations into different zoom types, and select your desired zoom type in slicer to control the map display. In following table, I have three “zoom types” and I want the map to zoom in to the first four cities. I can check “1.1” in slicer to do it quickly.

For power map in excel, I also didn’t find a function which allows for a user-defined zoom level.

Map default zoom any trick_1.jpgMap default zoom any trick_2.jpgMap default zoom any trick_3.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JohnoP
Frequent Visitor

I realize this is quite an old one but found an interesting workaround that might be usefull to others. 

If you are plotting individual locations using geo-coded lat/long you can control the zoom level when selecting a single location with the following work around;

Create a duplicate entry for each individual location and in the duplicate entry offset either the lat/long slightly e.g. 

-34.0000,20.0000         Location A            Original 

-34.0000,20.0005         Location B            Duplicate

You can then "hide" the duplicate entries by applying a "less" visible colour to them. 

If you leave auto zoom on, the map then automatically zooms to include both points. (Hence by controlling your offset, you can control the zoom level).

Not ideal but better than nothing. 

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@laciodrom_80

The only trick I know is to use the slicer. We can divide locations into different zoom types, and select your desired zoom type in slicer to control the map display. In following table, I have three “zoom types” and I want the map to zoom in to the first four cities. I can check “1.1” in slicer to do it quickly.

For power map in excel, I also didn’t find a function which allows for a user-defined zoom level.

Map default zoom any trick_1.jpgMap default zoom any trick_2.jpgMap default zoom any trick_3.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.