Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Zenita
Frequent Visitor

Map chart language (Power BI Desktop)

Hi,

When I originally installed Power BI Desktop I did not see that there was an advanced section where you could choose language. I just downloaded and started to work with it.

I didn’t suspect anything was wrong since everything in the UI was in English. When I later added a map chart I got a map with the continents given in Swedish. Yes, I am geographically located in Sweden but that should not matter. I want my dashboard to be in English.

I then read that to fix this you need to download the English version. See section “Choose a language when you download Power BI Desktop” on this page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/supported-languages-countries-regions.

Fine, I uninstalled the one I had and downloaded an English version. I now made sure to select the “Advanced Download Options” and selected “English” as language before downloading.

After installing what I thought was the English version I still get the Swedish names on the map:

Map.png

This is really frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

I have tried to change language settings on the computer but that does more harm than good since I then lose my Swedish keyboard and that one I actually need to be Swedish. Since everything I have tried was fruitless I also tried to restart between every change just in case that would help. But no…

Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
areels

It's based on region > format language. fix that to change lang.

Control Panel\Clock and Region\Region

areels_0-1704458298383.png

pstrmberg
Frequent Visitor

I have this same issue and it is very very annoying. 

Changed all settings I could, to English. Both MS Map and Azure map in PowerBI Desktop shows the map in Swedish.

Can anyone please post a solution for this?

I simply cannot pull screen-shots into presentations with a map in Swedish for a global team. 

enriquesaura

Hi,

After trying all the suggestions above, it worked for me when I published the report on Power Bi for web.

Finally all the country names are in English!

Probably you need to change your Bing language or region to English, too.

Mengia

Same issue here, I work with an international team so this is really annoying!

Please solve.

oztanas

Hello I had the same problem also, go bing.com/maps and change language and location there as englih/ united states

It worked for me, I am in turkey/istanbul and all country names were in turkish but I was trying to get output in english now it works

Hi Oztanas,

Thank you for your post. Yes, I do still have the problem. I had kind of given up on finding a solution. 😞

I have tried your suggestion of changing the language and country/region settings for Bing but no luck for me. Power BI Desktop still displays Swedish names.

Thanks anyway.

//Zenita

oztanas

Hello Not sure If you still have the problem, but I had the same problem too, and I changed the language from bing.com/maps

If you select your location and language as english/united states, it works

Zenita
Frequent Visitor

Hi Yuliana,

Sorry but your reply did not help. I have already tried to change every language or regional setting that I can find. Nothing helps. And I have uninstalled and re-installed Power BI Desktop to make sure that it is the English version.

Perhaps a silly question but: If all the menus, buttons, fields, tooltips and all other aspects of the UI are in English, don’t I have an English version? The “About” information available in the “Help” menu doesn’t indicate that I have a Swedish version. I must assume that the Power BI Desktop installation is English.

I have checked the following language / regional settings:

• The operating system – I have Windows 7 Enterprise. It doesn’t say anything about Swedish version. Every program I use is in English. All of them display English menus and other UI details.
  • The IE browser (even though I don’t see why this would affect the desktop application)
  • “Region and Language” (from the control panel)
    • Format – Set to Swedish since I need date and time format to be in Swedish.
    • Location – Set to United States.
    • Administrative – Set to English (United States), i.e. the system locale.

Operating systemOperating systemBrowser settingBrowser settingRegion and LanguageRegion and Language

Does the “Format”-setting have to be changed as well? I hope not since this affects other things that I really don't want in English format.

Are there any other places that needs to be changed? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Zenita

Hi @Zenita,

From above screenshot, it looks like your desktop is English version indeed. Based on my research, even I installed a different version desktop rather than English, the map visual would display address name in English. So, per my understanding, the displayed name in map visual is dertermined by your geographically location. Could you check whether your colleagues encounter the same problem?

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I tested with one colleague. She sees the continent names in English.

So, what am I doing wrong?

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good tip. Smiley Frustrated

Hi @Zenita,

Unfortunately, I didn't find the cause to this problem and I was unable to reproduce this problem in my environment. If you have a Pro license, you could create a support ticket for free to get more advice.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

Just as info - I have the same problem. I also tried to change language and location in all possible places, and on bing.com as well (as proposed above) but it didn't help. Would be nice if this could be resolved somehow.

Thanks.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Zenita,

Based on my test, the map visual displays location names in English in Power BI desktop English version. And currently, it is not allowed to switch language of location objects on the map visual.

In your scenario, if you change the system language or browser language to English, will the map show items in English?

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.