Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Luva

Map as a visual object

Hello!

In the tutorial it mentioned as an example and showed that when data was used places, automatically related to the visual object that displays maps. In the data I want to use, there is a column (Country of South Amercia) and I want to relate it to the number of people in each country, but when I do this,  nothing is displayed. In the information box I get that I need to include more data coordinate and data about georeferences. Someone who can suggest me how to deal with this case?

I am a novice at this.

Thanks a lot!

Greetings

Lu

A happy learner
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Luva,

Please refer to the following screenshot about how to create the Map visual in  your scenario. For more details, please review the attached PBIX file.

1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Luva,

Could you please post sample data of your scenario and describe more details about how you create the map visual in Power BI Desktop? I make a test using the following sample data and everything works as expected.
1.PNG2.PNG

If the map visual cannot recognize the country name in your data source, please add Latitude and Longitude columns in your data source and drag them to map visual.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi dear @v-yuezhe-msft sure, this is my sample data.

a.png

I want to visualize how many participants (Nombre column) are in each country (País column) The steps that I followed are:

At the canvas drop the fields of Name (Nombre) and Country (País), after that I can see the chart in the canvas, then I click in the icon of map in the options of Visualizations, and it sees like:

b.png

I did not create any relation and I did not make any query to the data...

Would I have to create a column for Latitude and another column for Longitude near each Country and then drag both new columns to the canvas?

Thanks a lot for your time @v-yuezhe-msft (and patience) Woman Happy

A happy learner

Hi @Luva,

Could you please translate the error message to English?

Or you can store the sample data in Excel and share me the Excel file, I would test it in my Power BI Desktop. Power BI uses Bing to geocode the data, based on your original description, it seems that Bing can't recognize the names of country in your sample data, in this case,  you would need to create a Latitude column and another Longitude column for near each Country and then drag both new columns to the canvas.  For mode details about creating map visual, please review this article.

In addition, please use the latest version of Power BI Desktop and make sure you put country column in Location section in Map visual.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi dear @v-yuezhe-msft , the translation of the info box will be "More data are needed to create a location choropleth map"

I am sharing with you my original excel. As you are going to see is only a test sheet cause I am just an apprentice, these are my first steps...Woman Sad

Thanks for the article Woman Happy

I don't understand clearly how to "put Location section in Map visual" means (?)

Sorry for the disturbances and infinite thanks!!

Lu

A happy learner

Hi @Luva,

Please refer to the following screenshot about how to create the Map visual in  your scenario. For more details, please review the attached PBIX file.

1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft!

Thanks a lot por the solution, and the time that you has spent to support me.

I am gonna apply this one, now!

All the best!

Luva

A happy learner
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Luva

Try to change to this visual:

Sin título.png

The put the Country in Location and Values in Size (Tamaño)

Lima - Peru

Thanks a lot @Vvelarde

I am gonna try inmediately

Best regards from La Paz, Bolivia.

A happy learner

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.