Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Map Visuals Not Working in Power BI Desktop since February 2019 update

I have 4 independent reports that all contain map visuals which have stopped working only in PBI Desktop

They stopped working immediately after I updated my PBI Desktop app from December 2018 to February 2019. All of the map visuals work perfectly in PBI service - so it's not an issue with the data.

I haved tried reinstalling desktop but am having the same issues.

There are no error messages on the visuals. 

I've attached some screenshots.

image.pngimage.png

Can somebody help, please?

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My map visuals stopped rendering in Power BI Desktop since updating to the February 2019 version.

The visuals render in Power BI Service and in earlier versions of Power BI Desktop but not in the February 2019 version.

My network does not block Bing Maps and there is no issue with my data.

This needs a fix - I wasted a lot of my time only to find that I needed to revert back to the December 2018 version.

Please see PBI community post for more details - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Map-Visuals-Not-Working-in-Power-BI-Desktop-since-February-...

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you please share your pbix file for test? (I test on last version and it works well)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Xiaoxin,

I am experiencing the same issue. It seriously surprises me to not find a solution in any of the forums to this.

Have you come up with a solution that you can post here? I am learning how to use the maps feature and have spent hours finding what if blocking it without success thus far.

Please, contact me directly as this needs to be addressed immediately. After all, a newer version should not be sent out with obvious faults.

thanks for your help.

Jorge

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, did you ever find a fix for this issue?

@Anonymous I had a similar issue where neither the bubble nor filled map would appear on my machine, regardless of on desktop or service.

Following @v-shex-msft's suggestion I cleared by cache (Options > Data Load > Q & A Cache Options > Clear Cache), closed and reopened the application and the issue was fixed.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I think this issue may related to your networks statues, maybe you can try to use fiddler to trace power bi requirement to see which request has been blocked.

In addition, you can also try to clean up power bi desktop cache files or share your pbix to another device to test.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can confirm that this is definitely an issue with the February 2019 update that I downloaded and installed from Power BI here - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/ and on the MS Store

I downloaded and installed the older December 2018 version and the map visuals render as expected in both PBI Desktop and Service.

image.png

image.png

If anyone else is having similar issues, refer to This Power BI Community answer to get older versions of PBI Desktop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

I've sent a faulty report to 2 of my colleagues with older versions of PBI desktop and everything is perfect. 

I've also downloaded Fiddler but I'm not sure how I can use it to help.

image.png

Can you tell me what I am supposed to see here?

I tried creating a new maps visual and filled it with Long/Latt data expecting to see a Bing.Maps URL in Fiddler but no joy.

I've also tried re-downloading and re-installing the PBI desktop with no success.

Thank you for your help so far. 

Regards,

Luke

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.