Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jeffclarke

Map Visualization Not Working

Power BI Map Issue2.PNG

Two days ago, this map displayed correctly when going through one of the tutorials.

Yesterday and today, I was trying to create a new doc using a map visualization from another tutorial and it would not work, then I tried using a more simple one with just country data in a Excel sheet, still no visualization map.

Then I exited everything, restarted and now my first map that worked previously, does not display.

I then starting Googling and searching here as to what setting may have changed and reading other posts here.

Conclusion, I'm at a loss as to what changed or if it's a Privacy issue, or Bing is being blocked somehow from our network - does anyone know what may be causing maps not to display?

Also, was trying to see where to check for updates, but don't see a menu option within Power BI Desktop ?

Thanks everyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@jeffclarke,

First thing is to check whether you can access and use Bing map in IE.
https://www.bing.com/maps

I have tested it on my local environment, we can use use map visual without any issue. In your scenario, could you please try to updated your Power BI desktop to latest version and check if this issue persists or not. If the issue persists, please share your PBIX file, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, has anyone found the solution for Map visual not showing up? 

I am facing similar issue. It was displaying Map visual with data and when i downloaded the pbix file from app service, on desktop version Map is blank.  All settings checked, updated latest version, cache cleared but no luck. Can anyone tell me how to get this working? None of the map visual is working.

Thanks in Advance.

viktor925

This solved the problem for me:
File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Global -> Security -> Use Map and Filled Map visuals

Msong4u

Hi.  I am having the same problem.  How do I get the map to show.  It worked for 15 minutes.  I got on with my client and it was a blank space and no matter what I did....no map.  Empty square.   If this has to do with Bing...which would be bad....how do I add Bing to the mix to get the map to work?  This has been happening for a year.  Why not remove Data Visualization if you can't get it to work?  

w72802

Hi Power users

i got trouble visualize the map and filled map except the GIS map. i have no problem see the bing map using web browser.

even if i turn off the firewall it does not work.

i am new in powerbi please help.\

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have the same issue and my Bing Maps is working. Can someone please assist??

We have same problems:

1. Bing Maps displayed when using PowerBI Client to view report

2. Bing Maps can be opened in browser

3. Bing Maps doesnt displayed when user try to view report on report server (embeded or full page)

The problem is in proxy that require auth from client. When client using PowerBI RS Client or browser it works fine and client goes throught proxy with auth. But when client get content from Report Server portal and try to download maps client gets 407 from proxy (auth requried) BUT do nothing after that and do NOT request the same links with auth.

In normal cases when client get 407, then he get response from proxy about supported auth methods and select one of available method to get the same "link".

This can be "workarounded" by adding bing maps sites to site list without auth req. But in some cases its not a solution. Can dev team take a look at this problem?

SteveDMINC
Frequent Visitor

We are experiencing this same issue.  I have verified that I can access Bing Maps.  The problem seems to be with our Proxy server and I know zero about proxies.  If I go into IE and change my proxy back to the previous proxy settings, PBI maps work.  However, when our group policy runs and switches me back to the new proxy, maps stop working.  Any ideas?  I'm at a loss and so is our network support team.  Hoping someone out there has experienced this with Power BI.

hi i have same issue, bing maps is working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue as described by many others here. My dashboard on Power BI desktop was in progress of being created, I closed it and opened it the next days and none of my maps works. I don't want to put too much effort into completing the dashboard if I can't solve this issue but trying to figure it out is driving me insane. I'm new to Power BI so figuring out the program is difficult enough. 

Help?

sonama

Hi- I recently downloaded the Desktop version and all the visualizations work, but for the two Maps. I uninstalled the porgram and reinstalled a couple times, but still it doesnt work. I see a blank square, with at times with the legend- but never the maps.

Please help.

started experiencing the same issue in November. Randomly works and stops working. Send the .pbix file to a colleague and they can open and view the maps fine. Works on a laptop of mine sometimes, other time it doesn't. Wonder if something in the Nov update broke things for some folks?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here as well. Build a dashboard, maps work fine. Close it down and open it up again, nothing.

Through some trial and error I found logging out of my account in PowerBI Desktop fixed the issue for me.

Signing out and back into the power bi acccount fixed my mapping issue.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

if you not connected to the internet bing wont work

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@jeffclarke,

First thing is to check whether you can access and use Bing map in IE.
https://www.bing.com/maps

I have tested it on my local environment, we can use use map visual without any issue. In your scenario, could you please try to updated your Power BI desktop to latest version and check if this issue persists or not. If the issue persists, please share your PBIX file, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

I don't think this is solved. I'm running into the same issue in 2023. I don't see any additional information in this thread that gets me to a working answer.

I have:

• Made sure my security settings have been updated
  • Verified I can communicate with Bing maps using both Chrome and Edge

Having same issue... Map and filled map visuals are disabled.

Tried to tweak Security settings. It works until i restart the app.

Also on mobile device map still dont work with any option..

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems to be down again, it was working fine yesterday and now the map feature shows just a blank box. are you guys fixing it soon??

Hello,

We are able to Bing the Maps , but the Map visualization is not working . I am using 2.57 version 

Thanks,

Shankar

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors