Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jeffclarke Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Map Visualization Not Working

Power BI Map Issue2.PNG

Two days ago, this map displayed correctly when going through one of the tutorials.

Yesterday and today, I was trying to create a new doc using a map visualization from another tutorial and it would not work, then I tried using a more simple one with just country data in a Excel sheet, still no visualization map.

Then I exited everything, restarted and now my first map that worked previously, does not display.

I then starting Googling and searching here as to what setting may have changed and reading other posts here.

Conclusion, I'm at a loss as to what changed or if it's a Privacy issue, or Bing is being blocked somehow from our network - does anyone know what may be causing maps not to display?

Also, was trying to see where to check for updates, but don't see a menu option within Power BI Desktop ?

Thanks everyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator v-caliao-msft

Re: Map Visualization Not Working

@jeffclarke,

First thing is to check whether you can access and use Bing map in IE.
https://www.bing.com/maps

I have tested it on my local environment, we can use use map visual without any issue. In your scenario, could you please try to updated your Power BI desktop to latest version and check if this issue persists or not. If the issue persists, please share your PBIX file, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Frequent Visitor

Map Visualization Not Working

I'm working on one of the Tutorials and am having trouble with the Map Visualization for STATE name.

The first tutorial I did worked fine and I have gone through the online tips as suggested in related posts, but this one doesn't want to recognize it properly...and yes I have already changed the Data Category to State or Province.

Tried to insert a screen shot but there is no upload function.

The source of the data is

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/retirement/best-places-retire-how-state-ranks.aspx

The Tutorial is at:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-getting-started/

Moderator v-caliao-msft

@jeffclarke,

First thing is to check whether you can access and use Bing map in IE.
https://www.bing.com/maps

I have tested it on my local environment, we can use use map visual without any issue. In your scenario, could you please try to updated your Power BI desktop to latest version and check if this issue persists or not. If the issue persists, please share your PBIX file, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

Super User I
Super User I

if you not connected to the internet bing wont work

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.
Proud a to be a Datanaut!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks guys, sometimes the obvious is overlooked - for some reason it looks like recent upgrades on our internal network are now blocking Bing Maps,  we are investigating why. 

sonama Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Hi- I recently downloaded the Desktop version and all the visualizations work, but for the two Maps. I uninstalled the porgram and reinstalled a couple times, but still it doesnt work. I see a blank square, with at times with the legend- but never the maps.

Please help.

PowerBIzNess Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

started experiencing the same issue in November. Randomly works and stops working. Send the .pbix file to a colleague and they can open and view the maps fine. Works on a laptop of mine sometimes, other time it doesn't. Wonder if something in the Nov update broke things for some folks?

SWOS Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Same here as well. Build a dashboard, maps work fine. Close it down and open it up again, nothing.

PowerBIzNess Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Through some trial and error I found logging out of my account in PowerBI Desktop fixed the issue for me.

vangaps Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

We are able to Bing the Maps , but the Map visualization is not working . I am using 2.57 version 

Thanks,

Shankar

Helpful resources

Announcements
Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Join us in the third Triple A event!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're celebrating the start of the New Super User season with our first ever Super User 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

We are super excited for our update this month, as we are releasing two of our top community requests!

Power Platform Online Conference

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

Top Solution Authors