Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

duncanmci
Regular Visitor

Map Visualisation - Location not unique - Alternate Primary Key

I have a situation where I have multiple customers at the exact same physical location. For example:

Location ID     Customer Address                                    Customer Name

1234               200 Queen Street, Brisbane Qld 4000       ABC Company Pty Ltd

9876               200 Queen Street, Brisbane Qld 4000       XYZ Company Pty Ltd

On a map object, the Location (i.e. the Customer Address) appears to be considered the Primary Key, but as this example demonstrates, the Customer Address by itself is not unique.

I have Sales data in one table, and Customer data in another table, with the Primary Key of the Customer table being "Location ID". As you can see from the above example, the Location ID is unique, but the physical address is not.

When mapping customer sales, the tooltip will display the incorrect Customer Name (First/Last) and Location ID (Sum/Count/Min/Max etc). 

If I were to create a composite key with Location ID (or other), then the address would not map correctly – it would be an invalid address.

Without merging the datasets (massive amounts of duplicated data – that’s why we have a data model), is there a way to set an alternate Primary Key on the Map object so that the correct customer details are shown?

As properties/addresses change hands, this is also problematic when considering historical data.

3 REPLIES 3
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @duncanmci ,

Try to put "Location ID " in the "legend" of the map view.

16.png 

Best Regards,
Kelly

Thanks but no that doesn't work either. Irrespective, I need the Legend to represent a geographic region and having thousands of items in a legend (individual addresses) is a bit of overkill.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@duncanmci Would adding an index column be a way to achieve this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors