Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jondeck24
Helper I
Helper I

Map Location limit?

Hey All - I loaded my location into the location spot and I see only about 7 blips on my map.  If I zoom in I am able to see more but only around where that 1 dot was.  I have a fairly sizeable list of locations spanning about 6-12 months.  I had no idea why the US for example isn't covered in little blue dots as I know for some of the products that make up all the data are mostly in the US.  Then I thought well is there a size limit to how many locations this will take?  I then selected one of the products I know to have locations and unselected the rest.  The result is the US gets littered with blips.  I can only assume size limit here?  The coords are the same the whole column through but when I select a certain product - I get what I assumed I would see.  Any thoughts on this or what I can do to get all my data to show on the map?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Sure. Stop by and demo and that's fine as well. I believe I got a repro from another issue. Basically if you have a field in the legend and the number of rows are above a certain limit, we hit this issue.

View solution in original post

Please use "Send a Frown" in Power BI Desktop and mention Mey and this forum thread on it so they can put you in touch with him. We will mark this public thread as Answered.

Regards,

M.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
forzajoensy
Frequent Visitor

Im having the same issue. I have lat and lons when I used ~2000 of them in the Dublin, Ireland area PBI worked perfectly. But now I tried 17,000 and have definietly hit a problem, for some reason it has decided on the 53.35 latitude to be the maximum. so only half the coutry is displaying as having customers and is also really slow. (I have a really good computer). Should I be using a licenced
Arcgis software for this amount of datapoints? Can Tableau handle this? Is 17,000 points a lot?

Tnx

The map limit is there for a reason.  If you're using interactive mapping (online) you can imagine that users won't want to spend a lot of time waiting for the data points to load.  I would suggest grouping (aggregating) your data points into a higher geographical area and allow users to drill down.  

This is really about the useability of the data from the users stand point.  If you're loading that amount of data, a GIS product would hanlde it no problem, however could you share an interactive version with all your users ?   Using an alternative Data Visualiation solution would pose the same issues...

Hope that helps...

itelligent-i
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, did you resolve this issue.  I seem to reach a limit when the datasets contain many thousands of points.  I'm mapping Longs & Lats which initially worked then they all appear centered on the top of the map 😞

Thanks,

Tim

We are fixing this issue in the next update. Until then the workaround is to add a calculated column to the location field which has [Lat] & "," & [Long]

Hi,

Can you tell me if this issue has been fixed?

I am using the July update however not all of my data is being displayed on the map.

meysun
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Would you be able to send us the PBIX file to take a look at the issue?.

Hey Meysun,

I'll see if I can strip the file down enough to send you - its a project i'm working on for another company so they obviously wouldn't be too thrilled about me sending their info along.  Where would I send it to?  Or i'm in the area and old v- there, could stop by and demo it for you if that's an option as well. 

Sure. Stop by and demo and that's fine as well. I believe I got a repro from another issue. Basically if you have a field in the legend and the number of rows are above a certain limit, we hit this issue.

Sure - how do I contact you to setup a meeting?

Please use "Send a Frown" in Power BI Desktop and mention Mey and this forum thread on it so they can put you in touch with him. We will mark this public thread as Answered.

Regards,

M.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.