Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mathysbt
Regular Visitor

Map Latitude and Longitude Color Saturation Does Not Work

I have a table in Excel with 4 columns in it. The columns show the Location Name, Latitude, Longitude, and Action Completed. The idea is that location T1 could have multiple different actions (e.g., 4) completed at that specific location. I am interested in having the color saturation being dependent on the count of the actions completed for each location. I have the map working (i.e., the bubble show up in the correct location) and the size of the bubbles will change based on the count of actions. However, for some reason I cannot get the color saturation to change based on the counted value. Please help! Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Sean

Thank you for your help. To answer your question, you are correct that I am repeating the lat and long for each completed action. The location table lists each Turbine name and it's corresponding lat and long. It is used as a VLookup so that I when an action is completed, I say what turbine it was completed at and the lat and long populate. The Locations table is not used in Power BI because I couldn't get it to work, but now I might be able to since I have a better understanding of how this all works.

I was able to get this to work. What I had to do was enter a location. I the "Turbine" column there (this column consists of values T1 through T100 and those values are repeated if multiple actions are completed at each location). Once that is done, I received an error. This error said I can continue to use Lat and Long if I set them to the average. Note that this does not average the values and there was no ill effects from changing it to average rather than sum. At this point, I put Count of Action in the Color saturation box and the map now performs as desired. Thanks again for all of your help.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mathysbt You can't have anything in the Legend if you want to use the Color Saturation as well?

Are you using the Legend?

Color Details 1 of 2Color Details 1 of 2Color Details 1 of 2Color Details 1 of 2Size WorksSize Works@Sean

I don't have anything in the legend. I have attached some screenshots to give a better idea of what I am doing. Thanks!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mathysbt You need Count of Action in both Size and Color Saturation at the same time drag the filed to both places!

This should do it. Let me know.

Map - Color Saturation.png

@Sean

I am doing this with Power BI online if that makes any difference. I don't think it should though.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mathysbt Just tested it online too... Let me check something else...

Map - Color Saturation2.png

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mathysbt I couldn't duplicate this with my data sets - So created a test file - and was able to duplicate

So if a location has 4 actions you are basically repeating the lat and long 4 times

What is in the Locations table do you have the Lat & Long info there AND are the Locations unique.

@Sean

Thank you for your help. To answer your question, you are correct that I am repeating the lat and long for each completed action. The location table lists each Turbine name and it's corresponding lat and long. It is used as a VLookup so that I when an action is completed, I say what turbine it was completed at and the lat and long populate. The Locations table is not used in Power BI because I couldn't get it to work, but now I might be able to since I have a better understanding of how this all works.

I was able to get this to work. What I had to do was enter a location. I the "Turbine" column there (this column consists of values T1 through T100 and those values are repeated if multiple actions are completed at each location). Once that is done, I received an error. This error said I can continue to use Lat and Long if I set them to the average. Note that this does not average the values and there was no ill effects from changing it to average rather than sum. At this point, I put Count of Action in the Color saturation box and the map now performs as desired. Thanks again for all of your help.

I'm having the same exact problem but your solution did not work for me! My color saturation and size are not changing at all. I've tried using all manner of different fields and measures to see if that helps for color/size but nothing is working... Any ideas...? i am using lat and lon, I do have many occurrences of each pair of lat-lon but if I chose a location and set the lat-lon to average, the color/size still do not work 😞 

This did not work. All that it did was make the bubbles size increase, but the color is still unchanged.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.