Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

boykin188
Frequent Visitor

Many to many relationship

Hi everyone - very very new PBI user here. I have a problem where I have two datasets that use a common identifier - "PrimaryID."

Dataset 1 has roughly 3 million rows, where each row is a unique point in time for whatever ID it's attached to.

Dataset 2 has only 305,000, and also features multiple instances of the same ID.

There is crossover - the PrimaryID's for the smaller dataset appear in the larger one, and I want to analyze the larger dataset (1) using only ID's that show up in the smaller one (2). The big problem I'm running into is difficulty in managing the "many to many" cardinality of the relationships.

In Excel this would be a simple case of using, say, LOOKUP to create a column that could be used as a filter, but if there's a DAX option, or a PowerQuery option, I can't figure it out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
boykin188
Frequent Visitor

OK, I may have solved this myself...please someone correct me if I'm wrong 🙂 

- I created a duplicate of the smaller table in PowerQuery where I want to only use ID's which appear in it 

- Removed other columns, then removed duplicates 

- Created a one-to-many relationship with the bridge table to Dataset 1

-Can use PrimaryID from the bridge table as a filter

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
boykin188
Frequent Visitor

OK, I may have solved this myself...please someone correct me if I'm wrong 🙂 

- I created a duplicate of the smaller table in PowerQuery where I want to only use ID's which appear in it 

- Removed other columns, then removed duplicates 

- Created a one-to-many relationship with the bridge table to Dataset 1

-Can use PrimaryID from the bridge table as a filter

Hi @boykin188 ,

It is pleasant that your problem could be solved, could you please mark one reply as answer to close this topic?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.