Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lubosbednar
Helper II
Helper II

Many Oracle sessions

Hello,

One of our customer reported problem with generating tens of Oracle sessions when working in Power BI desktop with Oracle database or refreshing data using Power BI gateway. They have limit of 80 active session on Oracle instance. So when Power BI generates 40 or more sessions then it causes a lot of problems. Sometimes these sessions also stays active long time after finishing work in Power BI. 

Do you have experienced such a problem? I'm not Oracle admin, so I don't know whether it is problem of Power BI or Oracle. 

Thanks,

Lubos

5 REPLIES 5
romgut
Advocate III
Advocate III

I have got the same issue today, 40 open sessions, is it opening a session for each query / each table?

One option I found for me meanwhile is to disable the parallel table load. It's ok only for the ready solution with increased loading time in the night.

andershh
Advocate I
Advocate I

I am seeing a similar issue for my workplace's Oracle database - that the Power BI On-Premises Gateway uses many database connections without letting go of them. I have described my issue here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/On-Premises-Gateway-utilizing-many-Orac...

But my question to you @lubosbednar is this: did you find a solution to your issue?

Many thanks beforehand

andershh

@andershh No, customer decided to move to QlickSense 😕

What are the rationales ? No. Of connection session ?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lubosbednar,

I would suggest you let your Oracle DBA check the V$SESSION view to find the active sessions. Find out if they are opened from Power BI desktop or service.

Based on my test, if we open a connection to Oracle from Power BI, there should be one session. If we don't interact with this connection, status displays as INACTIVE.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.