cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Manually enter data against a dynamic column

I'm running into a frustrating problem that I'd love the Community's help with.

We have a table that contains all of the products that we carry. This table connects to a SQL server to populate. Some of the data in that SQL table needs to be adjusted based on metrics that we want to report aganist, which we would like to do in PowerBI Desktop.

My issue, is that I would like to manually create a table called "FriendlyProduct" where one column is dynamica (read: pulls the product list from the PowerBI table called "ProductName") and have 2 or 3 other columns that are manually entered. That way, our team can go through an manaully assign them manaul data.

Each time we add a product to our internal product database we will need to be able to open and manually edit "FriendlyProuduct" with the manual data that we need to assign to each product.

Something like below:

Table.ProductName = All products from "ProductName" Table that containts all products pulled from SQL
Area = manually entered data
Type = manually entered data

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hey @texasbiuser 

If a requirement is to manually update the underlying data set (in SQL), the only way I know you can do that is via power apps. This requires you creating a power app that connects to the underlying data source & adding a power app visual to your report. 

I've done this, but my users use the power app (embedded in the report) in the Power BI service; I haven't tested this from within the PBI desktop.

HERE is a GIAC link that covers this.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hey @texasbiuser 

If a requirement is to manually update the underlying data set (in SQL), the only way I know you can do that is via power apps. This requires you creating a power app that connects to the underlying data source & adding a power app visual to your report. 

I've done this, but my users use the power app (embedded in the report) in the Power BI service; I haven't tested this from within the PBI desktop.

HERE is a GIAC link that covers this.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
November Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2020 Updates!

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

secondImage

Power Platform October Community Highlights

Check out the top community contributors across all of the communities

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors