Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Manipulating data from an excel spreadsheet

Hi all

I have a whole bunch of Excel files that are stored on a SharePoint Online Teamsite. I can access these files in PowerBI and expand them out but I'm having trouble manipulating them afterwards.

But the files have a lot of good info spread all over the place. I can't change how the files are produced either so this format is fixed.

Basically, I'd like to take the:

- Name of the courese (In this case "System X - 10 Coolest Features" but it varies)

- Date: (in this case 9/04/2019 but again this varies)

- Time: (in this case 02:00pm to 02:30pm but again this varies)

and put them in their own column appended to the end, next to Attended

Then delete these rows so that the obvious headings become the actual headings in Power BI

Does that all make sense?

See attached for a screen shot of one of my Excel files.

Screen shot of one of my Excel filesScreen shot of one of my Excel files

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ross

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

If I understand your question correctly that you want to do some data format changes in query editor when you get data from SharePoint Online?

If so, please share your desired format so that I could understand your desired output better and help further on it.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that sounds right. The final result would look like the attached. Except in PowerBI, not Excel if that makes sense...

So a table with the headings:

Attendee WOPID, Attendee name, Department, Date Registered, Attended, Course Name, Course Date, Course Time
FInal format that I'd likeFInal format that I'd like

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any updates on this by any chance? @v-piga-msft 

Thanks heaps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.