Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chargingblindly

Managing multiple environments with dataverse connections

In the past deploying with SQL Server datasources has meant i can parameterize the connection strings for server and database and then set per environment. However for a dataverse connection i don't get this option. 

I'm trying to deploy from dev to staging and then mutiple production instances and the reports are being referenced within a power app. Can someone please advise how best to manage the deployment of power bi reports referencing dataverse / cds datasources? If i have to manually amend the conneciton string each time it's going to be a nightmare and potentially dangerous in terms of security.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
chargingblindly

The solution i found was to use the SQL Server data source and use the dataverse URL as the connection string. Then there is the option to configure per Power BI deployment. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
chargingblindly

The solution i found was to use the SQL Server data source and use the dataverse URL as the connection string. Then there is the option to configure per Power BI deployment. 

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chargingblindly ,

Dataverse is a secure flexible data storage solution that is part of the very popular Microsoft Power Platform family.

If you want to learn more about Dataverse you can find more information at Microsoft Dataverse documentation

I have found a submitted idea about using Dynamic M-Query Parameters for Dataverse (CDS),If you also want this in power bi, let the power bi community to know this things and give your votes at power bi site's feedback -https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Dynamic-M-Query-Parameters-for-Dataverse-CDS/id...

Refer to :

Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power Query Dataverse connector | Microsoft Docs

Create a Power BI report using the Dataverse connector - Power Apps | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.