Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tmendoza
Helper III
Helper III

Managing Roles Using Measures, Is it Possible?

Hello,

I've got a redacted pbix version of my problem if any of you want to take a shot at it.

I'm creating a table that counts employee's based off of their level, Job Title and Family.

It's counting employee's based off a measure. Employee Count = DISTINCTCOUNT('Employee Detail'[Employee])

BI Table.PNG

I want to assign a role that filters out any rows in the table that have an employee count of 2 or less.

I'm using Row-Level Security to do this. (Manage Role Function)

When I go to Manage Roles and I use the employee count measure in the DAX formula, I do not get an error, but my visuals go blank.

This alternate DAX formula does not work as well. I do not get an error, but my visuals go blank.

DISTINCTCOUNT([Employee]) > "2"

DAX RLS.PNG

Does anyone have a solution to my problem? Or is what i'm trying to do even possible?

any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So there are 2 big problems here. The first one is that you are comparing a numeric value to a string of "2" so this always returns false. But even if you fix this and change the expression to the following:

DISTINCTCOUNT([Employee]) > 2

The second problem is that security filters are applied as a table filter so the DISTINCTCOUNT() is returning the total number of distinct [employee] values in the table.

I think to do what you want you will need to create a calculated column in your employee detail table which calculates your distinct count and then your role will simply have [My New Column] > 2

View solution in original post

For anyone else who reads this thread later with a similar issue, the solution was to come up with a calculated column which counted the number of employees with the same JobFamily, JobLevel and JobTitle. Then we created a normal row level security roles to only show where this count was greater than 2.

Below is the code for the calculated column

EmployeesPerFamily-Job-Title = 
VAR _currentJobFamily = Sheet1[Job Family]
VAR _currentJobLevel = Sheet1[Job Level]
VAR _currentJobTitle = Sheet1[Job Title]
return 
    COUNTROWS( 
        SUMMARIZE(
            FILTER(ALL(Sheet1[Job Family], Sheet1[Job Level], Sheet1[Job Title], Sheet1[Employee]), 
                Sheet1[Job Family] = _currentJobFamily 
                && Sheet1[Job Level] = _currentJobLevel 
                && Sheet1[Job Title] = _currentJobTitle
            ), 
            [Employee]
        )
    )

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So there are 2 big problems here. The first one is that you are comparing a numeric value to a string of "2" so this always returns false. But even if you fix this and change the expression to the following:

DISTINCTCOUNT([Employee]) > 2

The second problem is that security filters are applied as a table filter so the DISTINCTCOUNT() is returning the total number of distinct [employee] values in the table.

I think to do what you want you will need to create a calculated column in your employee detail table which calculates your distinct count and then your role will simply have [My New Column] > 2

The file you sent me was perfect.

DAX was the answer.

For anyone else who reads this thread later with a similar issue, the solution was to come up with a calculated column which counted the number of employees with the same JobFamily, JobLevel and JobTitle. Then we created a normal row level security roles to only show where this count was greater than 2.

Below is the code for the calculated column

EmployeesPerFamily-Job-Title = 
VAR _currentJobFamily = Sheet1[Job Family]
VAR _currentJobLevel = Sheet1[Job Level]
VAR _currentJobTitle = Sheet1[Job Title]
return 
    COUNTROWS( 
        SUMMARIZE(
            FILTER(ALL(Sheet1[Job Family], Sheet1[Job Level], Sheet1[Job Title], Sheet1[Employee]), 
                Sheet1[Job Family] = _currentJobFamily 
                && Sheet1[Job Level] = _currentJobLevel 
                && Sheet1[Job Title] = _currentJobTitle
            ), 
            [Employee]
        )
    )

Thanks for the response!

Much appreciated with the observations there.

I went ahead and created a calculated column to count up the distinct employee Job Families, Levels, and Title combinations (DISTINCTCOUNT function). But the column just retruned the the same value for each row, which is the total of all distinct combinations.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@tmendoza it will work and I used it many times, must be something else going on. If you can share pbix file wiht sample data (remove sensitive information) and I can take a look.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Great news,

I ran it past my boss and he approved my redacted version of the pbix file i've been working on for your guy's eyes.

It's been stripped of pretty much everything except for the table I've been trying to solve.

Is there away to stop people from seeing rows that have an employee count of less than 2?

Hey there,

Thanks for responding, anything helps. It's good to know that there is a possible solution for this.

Not quite sure that I can send the file out. You see, the measure is directly corrilated to an employee column in the data set.

If I were to remove this sensitive data it would destroy the measure  and the count in the visual.

Thus, I need the sensetive data in there in order for the visual to work.

What formula do you usually use to make this work for you?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.