Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rbs_analyst
Frequent Visitor

Managing Relationships

Hi guys,

I'm having troubles in managing relationships between my tables. It would be nice if someone could explain the difference between cross-filtering in a single direction and both directions. What are the situations where I would select single direction and both directions? Also, what are the differences between an inactive relationship and active relationship?

Thanks & Regards,

Ramya.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@rbs_analyst

For cross-filtering,

Single direction means the filtering choices in connected tables work on the table where values are being aggregated.

Both direction means both tables are treated as if they single table, they can filter each other.

For more details, please see: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop

We can have multiple relationships between two tables, but we can only have one active relationship. To use the inactive relationship in your calculation, you can use USERELATIONSHIP() function. For more details, see: Relationships (SSAS Tabular)

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ekene
Regular Visitor

I am also having troubles creating relationships between two tables in power bi online version. My data/tables are gotten from "excel files in my one drive" and loaded into the online BI. However, i am having troubles creating a relationships between two similar colomuns in both tables. For example,

Table A: Product; Sales; Month; 

Table B: Product; Target;

Can someone please assist with how to link/create relationship between "Products" in table A and Table B in the power BI online version. 

I know this is possible with the Power Bi offline version

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@rbs_analyst

For cross-filtering,

Single direction means the filtering choices in connected tables work on the table where values are being aggregated.

Both direction means both tables are treated as if they single table, they can filter each other.

For more details, please see: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop

We can have multiple relationships between two tables, but we can only have one active relationship. To use the inactive relationship in your calculation, you can use USERELATIONSHIP() function. For more details, see: Relationships (SSAS Tabular)

Regards,

Thanks a lot! That really helps.

This video also gives an good explanation of USERELATIONSHIP

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.