Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

imahmood1
Frequent Visitor

Managing Relationships

Hi There,

I have two appended tables ( i also have more with the same information) with most of the columns being the same e.g. both have Name, Year, Reg etc. However I am unable to create a relationship between the two. Please see attached image. Not sure what I am missing? 

What i'm trying to do is be able to pull e.g. the Year column from either one of these table and into the Report filter section so it can filter for any page/visual but it only filters for any visual/page that comes from that specific filter. I hope this makes sense.

Any help is appreciated.

Iram

manage relationship.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
KeithChu
Helper I
Helper I

You want to join "Name" column right? Since "Name" is both table are not unqiue, this is a N:M relationship. Now Power BI only support 1:1 or 1:N. So what you can do in this case is to create a "Name" master table that contain all UNIQUE row of "Name". Then instead of joining "Attainment" and "Demographic", you join "attaiment" and "demographic" to the "name" master table respectively.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I Hope Power BI will not support "Many -to- Many" Relationship. SO remove the duplicates from one of the tables and try and let us know still has issues.

Hi

I'm not sure I understand. If i delete the duplicates from one how will it create the relationship between both tables if there are no similar values?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

If i understand from your image the common column from both tables are "Name".

Even though the column names from both tables are availale , the values of the both tables are creating Many - to -Many Relationships.

Which means based on the values of the name column , the relationship automatically detects its a One-to-One , One-to-Many OR Many - to - One .

Finalyy,

If both table having duplicate names then it will create a Many - to - Many Relationships.

So it wont support at the movement.Relationship.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I hope as of now POwer BI will not support Many - to -Many Relationship.

SO if you have duplicate records then it will not possible to have relationshipt between.

So for testing Remove duplicates from one of teh table and try and let us knwo the results.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.